Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A toast for Robert Farrar Capon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 am

This one is also for Jo Ann, who wears a Robert Farrar Capon quote on her forum sig ...

Author, foodie, theologian, Episcopal priest, fascinating thinker: Let’s remember Robert Farrar Capon, who died last week at 88.

This lovely remembrance by Denise Frame Harlan in Christian Century Blogs captures the way Capon brought together thoughts of food as nourishment, inspiration and mission in lyrical prose. I don’t guess I have to underscore how deeply this touches me.

Ponder these brief lines from his The Supper of the Lamb:
We were given appetites, not to consume the world and forget it, but to taste its goodness and hunger to make it great. That is the unconsolable heartburn, the lifelong disquietude of having been made in the image of God.

It will be precisely because we loved Jerusalem enough to bear it in our bones that its textures will ascend when we rise; it will be because our eyes have relished the earth that the color of its countries will compel our hearts forever. The bread and the pastry, the cheeses, the wine, and the songs go into the Supper of the Lamb because we do; It is our love that brings the City home.

Rest in peace, Robert Farrar Capon: May flights of angels bear you to a table laden with wonderful viands and many good things to nourish your body and make your heart glad.

Click to read the full article in Christian Century Blogs:
http://www.christiancentury.org/blogs/a ... rrar-capon.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: A toast for Robert Farrar Capon

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks for the post, Robin
:shock: :| :( :cry:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:42 am

He wasn't the inventor of the castrated rooster, then. :wink:

He leaves us with some really delightful observations on food. I hope he enjoys the big banquet in the sky.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:56 pm

Many moons ago we both read The Supper of the Lamb from cover to cover. We still use recipes from it, and the yellowed paper back is still in file. R.I.P. Rev Bob.