Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Table snacks for Caribbean dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Table snacks for Caribbean dinner?

by Jenise » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:16 pm

This weekend's Caribbean dinner is not just a dinner, but a meeting. Dinner guests will have to sit through 60-90 minutes' worth of blabber before they're able to eat, and many of them are probably used to eating early. I need to put something on the table to stave off hunger during the meeting. I thought after germinating on it for a few weeks something would occur to me, but it hasn't and I'm running out of both time and the will to make much of anything myself--I'm serving 80. Whatever I do needs to be simple and easy to just leave sitting on the tables. Parmesan goldfish are out. :) I'm trying to make myself consider a nut mix involving Asian rice crackers, but adding to it. Any ideas? Help!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Table snacks for Caribbean dinner?

by Mark Lipton » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Conch fritters and plantain chips with mango salsa?

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:28 pm

caribbean gucamole with chips.
big bowls of melon, kiwi and berries
along with spiced nuts

You’ll Need…

1 cup unsalted peanuts
1 cup raw pecan halves
1 cup unsalted, dry roasted almonds
1 cup unsalted, dry roasted cashews
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon finely chopped scotch bonnet pepper
1/4 teaspoon curry powder (madras)

For the syrup:

1 or 2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:25 pm

??? Jerk spiced nuts with dried pineapple and dried mango bits ?? Penzeys or other proprietary Jerk spice blend as much as I don't like to use those things they do come in handy in a pinch :P
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:29 pm

Same as above but with some curry. As I am thinking of this, my Indian friend makes a killer mix out of the most ordinary things including rice krispies. The seasoning mix makes it addictive. Is the audience "heat" aversive ?
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:57 am

Mark Lipton wrote:Conch fritters and plantain chips with mango salsa?

Mark Lipton

Yeah, great. No conch hereabouts. :wink:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:58 am

Christina Georgina wrote:Same as above but with some curry. As I am thinking of this, my Indian friend makes a killer mix out of the most ordinary things including rice krispies. The seasoning mix makes it addictive. Is the audience "heat" aversive ?

As with any large group, I have to presume they are. Half or fewer won't be, but the half who are? Can't exclude them.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 am

Christina Georgina wrote:??? Jerk spiced nuts with dried pineapple and dried mango bits ?? Penzeys or other proprietary Jerk spice blend as much as I don't like to use those things they do come in handy in a pinch :P

ARGH! Months ago, and entirely accidentally, I tripped over a jar of dried Jerk seasoning in Seattle and I bought it. Had no idea what I'd do with it, but couldn't pass it up because I'd never find it up here if I needed it. It's not hot, just a nice allspicey tangy kind of blend of things. That's a start.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Jerk "McNuggets?"
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Everybody gets their own container of Jerk Dip with whatever finger foods you deem appropriate. Do you have a restaurant supply nearby, like a Cash and Carry? You can buy take out boxes dirt cheap. Fill each one with the container of dip and finger food.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Karen, cute idea. I'll take that under consideration. Learned today that the Commodore might want a different table set up, and that could change what I'm able to put on the table--sharing's harder at a ten top.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Btw, main course is grilled jerk chicken and big marinated gulf shrimp with rice and peas, a couple salads, and some fruit. I'm getting feedback today that three out of four people to whom the menu is described think we're serving chicken jerky.

This is SO not worth it.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:40 pm

Jenise wrote:Btw, main course is grilled jerk chicken and big marinated gulf shrimp with rice and peas, a couple salads, and some fruit. I'm getting feedback today that three out of four people to whom the menu is described think we're serving chicken jerky.

This is SO not worth it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Btw, main course is grilled jerk chicken and big marinated gulf shrimp with rice and peas, a couple salads, and some fruit. I'm getting feedback today that three out of four people to whom the menu is described think we're serving chicken jerky.

This is SO not worth it.

There is, I think, a common link between jerk and jerky: both were originally ways of preserving meat that involved salt and smoke. The difference, of course, is the degree of moisture left in the meat, but I'd be surprised if the jerky form isn't the more historically relevant one.

Mark Lipton
Last edited by Mark Lipton on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:11 am

Btw, main course is grilled jerk chicken and big marinated gulf shrimp with rice and peas, a couple salads, and some fruit. I'm getting feedback today that three out of four people to whom the menu is described think we're serving chicken jerky.

This is SO not worth it

Yikes, they must have their heads buried. Jerk recipes are everywhere.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:59 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:

This is SO not worth it

Yikes, they must have their heads buried. Jerk recipes are everywhere.

I too thought it fairly well known, but I was mistaken.

BUT HEY, I just had an idea. I mentioned Ropa Viejo in response to something Jo Ann, I think, was making, and the idea caught of up with me just now when staring at some chorizo I bought yesterday for a completely unrelated purpose. I could make up something called a Cuban Tostada, say, some kind of tortilla-like thing augmented with a black bean and chorizo mixture then topped with a very Floridian mango salsa.

Or even do them as roll-ups inside a flour tortilla that could be oven-crisped then cut into little sushi-like pinwheels and then topped with a scoop of said salsa. Heck, I could even buy pre-made mini-tacos and just put the same salsa on those. Easy to make, easy to hold, easy to serve and not messy to eat.

How do these sound?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:46 pm

I like the ease of it especially since you are on the line for everything. I personally don't care for those wrap/roll up things other than spring rolls but I know that they go over very well at events like you are describing this to be. The salsa would take it to a different level.

Love Karen's idea for the mini Oriental take out boxes. Will have to get a supply for future use.
Mamma Mia !