Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Roasted eggplant and tomatoes on penne

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP: Roasted eggplant and tomatoes on penne

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:33 am

The summer’s likely last harvest of skinny white Asian eggplant left me with a good-size basket, but I wasn’t in a mood to do anything fancy with them. I wanted something simple, easy, tasty, a good dinner to wrap up the weekend that would go with a bit of leftover Tuscan table red. And just to make things a little more complicated, storms passing through made the idea of grilling them unattractive.

So, how about this? Quickly rough-cut them into half-inch chunks, skin left on; toss with S&P and olive oil and roast them on a cookie sheet at 425 until soft, creamy and delicious.

This takes about 25 minutes roasting time, just long enough to chop a small onion and a big garlic clove, peel, seed and chop a big beefsteak tomato, and just to make things even more interesting, chop fine a few leftover roasted red Italian peppers in a refrigerator jar.

Brown the onions and garlic with shakes of kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper and dried red pepper flakes. When they’re starting to get good and brown, stir in the chopped tomatoes and cook quickly over medium heat until they start resolving into a sauce. (During this process, start penne boiling in salted water.) With a few minutes to go, reduce the sauce heat to low, add the roasted eggplant chunks, stir, and continue to simmer very low. A moment or two before the end, stir in the tiny roasted pepper bits.

Drain the pasta, stir it into the sauce, top with Pecorino Romano cheese and serve. It went great with the second half of an affordable ($12) bottle of Sassoregale Maremma Toscana Sangiovese, and the best thing about it was that while there were still plenty of recognizable eggplant chunks, a lot of the rich, sweet roasted eggplant melted into a remarkably “creamy” sauce.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: RCP: Roasted eggplant and tomatoes on penne

by Rahsaan » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:20 am

Eggplant, tomatoes, pasta and cheese are a match made in heaven and one of the glories of this time of year!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:35 am

I did something similar over the weekend, only I sliced the eggplant, dipped them in egg, breaded them and baked them until they were tender and then tossed them into the fresh tomato, et al, sauce over penne.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 pm

Oh my! Had I had a fork and a screen that I could reach through, I'd have eaten that all up....sounds amazing! How do you like the white eggplant in comparison with the purple?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:31 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Oh my! Had I had a fork and a screen that I could reach through, I'd have eaten that all up....sounds amazing! How do you like the white eggplant in comparison with the purple?

Karen, we got the white eggplant because earlier this summer, when Mary was hobbling on an ankle cast, the friend who helped her plant her garden got us three little white ones rather than the big black ones. :D

Actually, I like them quite a bit. They have great flavor, and the skin is textured but tender. But because they're small, they can be a little more of a pain to prep for some recipes. That's what I liked about my idea of just rough chopping them oiling them up and putting them on a cookie sheet, then using the roasted bits as an ingredient. Basically, it made the handling easy.

Flavor-wise, though, They're good, and I've pretty freely substituted them for melanzane.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:44 pm

This was our first time too growing white eggplant. I like them. They are delicate.
Thomas P