Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seeking recommendations in Tasmania

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

WWLL

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 pm

Seeking recommendations in Tasmania

by WWLL » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:39 am

I am a wine tourist and I come here for recommendations before each trip.

In November I am going to Tasmania. Which are are the 'do not miss' cellar doors? Which are the must taste wines?

I will stop over in Melbourne and Sydney on the way. In each city I am looking for places where I can taste a large number of wines. I am particularly looking for places with Enomatic dispensers.

Thanks for your help.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Seeking recommendations in Tasmania

by Barb Downunder » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:47 am

Two that I would recommend in Tasmania are
Pipers Brook winery
Moorilla Winery (apart from anything else it is adjacent to the (MONA) Museum of Old and New Art which is a must see.

I will investigate places in Melbourne (we don't go out to try lots of different wines at the one time so I will ask around and see what reccos I can come up with.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:18 am

In Tassie also THe wine apparently is Mon Pere by Glaetzer-Dixon family.

After discussion with my partner we are inclined to think the dispenser think\g is not part of our wine culture (perhaps check in to the wine forum on this topic.)
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:07 am

Dan Berger, the American writer who puts out his own newsletter, just got back from Tasmania. He also recommends Morilla Winery, as well as Josef Chromy Winery, Frogmore Creek and Freycinet on the east coast.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:29 pm

Will, even if you found those enomatics, would they serve the kind of wines you want to taste? One recently came to my town and the answer would clearly be no--it's a wide variety of what I'd consider low-end stuff and geared toward people who don't know that shiraz and syrah are the same grape.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

WWLL

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:15 pm

by WWLL » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for all your inputs.

Jenise, you need to come back to Southern California. At the Wine Exchange in Orange they have 24 wines to taste. http://www.winex.com/winexvideos-tasting.aspx
and at the Wine Detective in Pasadena they have 48 wines to taste every day! http://www.winedetective.com/