Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Crab Season now open in my neighborhood!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Crab Season now open in my neighborhood!

by Jenise » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:52 pm

Yesterday's catch: 15. Day before: 19. Both days before that, 5 each. Both days before those, 7 each.

Not too shabby! But especially the last four days while my friend Annabelle have been cooking our hearts out. Oh, and during which we roasted 48 pounds of Hatch green chiles. The delicacies? Crab bisque, crab stuffed mushrooms, crab ceviche, crab enchiladas in a green chile sauce, roasted salmon en croute with crab béarnaise, crab cakes--crab, crab and more crab. Among other victims, a '91 Domaine Romanee Conti, a '00 'Dugat Py and a bottle of Cristal gave their lives for the cause. Yesterday we went Asian: crab sui mai and crab-stuffed belgian endive leaves rolled in rice paper, Vietnamese style, with nasturtium and red chile-ponzu dipping sauces. Tosssed those down with a gorgeous bottle of Bollinger that John and Annabelle brought from L. A. just for the weekend (they were also the bearers of the gorgeous burgundies). Life is good. REAL good.

Sue and Neil--you left too soon!!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Crab Season now open in my neighborhood!

by Sue Courtney » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:49 pm

yes we left too soon ... but our last meal in North America, in Birch Bay to be precise, of those freshly caught, perfectly steamed crabs, drizzled with a little melted butter, will be in our taste memory banks for a long long time.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:08 pm

Ohio. Arghhhhhh!!! :mrgreen: Green for envy.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:yes we left too soon ... but our last meal in North America, in Birch Bay to be precise, of those freshly caught, perfectly steamed crabs, drizzled with a little melted butter, will be in our taste memory banks for a long long time.

Don't forget the Chardonnays that went with the crab. I could have stayed on the deck all afternoon sipping these!
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 am

I suppose we'll ever know who the first person was who looked at a crab and said "That looks like it would taste good" but I so happy someone did. Jenise, your assortment of dishes with crab sound like heaven.
BTW - Everyone's welcome to Maryland, The Blue Crab State.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:yes we left too soon ... but our last meal in North America, in Birch Bay to be precise, of those freshly caught, perfectly steamed crabs, drizzled with a little melted butter, will be in our taste memory banks for a long long time.

Don't forget the Chardonnays that went with the crab. I could have stayed on the deck all afternoon sipping these!

I'm trying to remember which ones we served. Clos du Val, Quails Gate and Novelty Hill?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:01 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:Ohio. Arghhhhhh!!! :mrgreen: Green for envy.

I forgot to mention crab and goat cheese stuffed chile relents. :wink:
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Jenise wrote:
Neil Courtney wrote:

I'm trying to remember which ones we served. Clos du Val, Quails Gate and Novelty Hill?

Clos du Val and Quails Gate with the crab. Novelty Hill the night before.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:43 pm

Sounds great. I wish I had a neighborhood crab season!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:16 pm

D-a-a-m-m-m-m-m-m-n!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:08 am

We need to get you up here, Jo Ann. This year I actually have a boat that works!