The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: An old northern Nebbiolo: Ferrando Carema 1964

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: An old northern Nebbiolo: Ferrando Carema 1964

by Saina » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Ferrando Carema (White Label) 1964

This was very pretty. It needed a couple hours in a decanter to get rid of some weird aromas, but good old Nebbiolo almost always requires quite a lengthy contact with air. It has those wonderful smells that rained upon soil gets and is aromatically very obviously Nebbiolo instead of just "old wine". It isn't a hugely powerful wine but it has bright acidity and a savoury finish and it seems more vibrant and awesome in every way than almost all mature Nebbiolo I have tried of supposedly better pedigree. It should have come in a magnum.

I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: WTN: An old northern Nebbiolo: Ferrando Carema 1964

by Charles Weiss » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:23 pm

Imagine the Black Label!
Charles
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Did they do a black label back then?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:03 am

Otto - thanks for posting this. Who doesn't love reading about wine especially an older wine; wondering what was going on at the time the grapes were growing and at harvest; how wine-making has changed, etc. It's a time capsule.
Last edited by Jon Peterson on Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:09 am

Nice! Never tried a Carema that old, but have enjoyed a bunch 1978 and younger.
One of my biggest buying regrets was maybe 2003. I was in Zachys, and stumbled across a big display in their "Fine Wine Room." All Italian, mostly early 90s vintages, in $15, $20, and $25 bins. Many wines I never heard of, others I had, sign said all from one cellar. I picked up 8 or 10 assorted bottles ($15 95/96 Ferrando Carema white labels and '93 Barbarescos from solid nontrophy producers, $20 1990 Ferrando Carema black labels and '93 Barolos, etc). Wanted to assess condition. Of course, by time I realized bottles were in great shape and rushed back, all of the best stuff- including the Ferrandos - was gone, though what was left was still mostly bargains, got another mixed case or two. Turned out later talking to a couple of friends who worked at Zachys auction that a major serious Italian collector had died, family wanted whole cellar out. So the Giacosas, Solderas, Biondi-Santis. G. Conternos, etc that made up bulk of collection went to auction, they just priced "little stuff" cheap to move it fast (these days it would have gone to e-auction). There must of been more than a case of the '90 black label there, I really kicked myself for my caution,
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 am

Dale Williams wrote:I really kicked myself for my caution...

Well it's a risky strategy to plunk down hundreds of dollars everytime you see something that 'may' be a good deal. So in the longrun you'd have to be prepared for a lot of duds.

Still, I understand the regret! I have some myself.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:26 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:I really kicked myself for my caution...

Well it's a risky strategy to plunk down hundreds of dollars everytime you see something that 'may' be a good deal. So in the longrun you'd have to be prepared for a lot of duds..

Indeed, I've been well served by caution. But in this case- as condition was my concern- if it were today I'd realize that a store like Zachys is unlikely to put a bunch of cooked wines on sale. The "buy a few bottles to try" has served me well when discovering "finds" in what amount to liquor stores, but at a Chambers, Zachys, Grapes, Crush better to dive in if you see a bargain.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Did they do a black label back then?

No idea. CT has the earlies black label from the '70s. Anyone know?
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:10 pm

Otto wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:Did they do a black label back then?

No idea. CT has the earlies black label from the '70s. Anyone know?

Their website doesn't say. Only clue, which suggests maybe they wouldn't have by then:
"In 1957, Giuseppe Ferrando junior, the founder’s grandson, began production of one of the rarest wines obtained from the Nebbiolo variety: Carema, named after a small town in northern Piedmont, on the border with Valle d’Aosta. Here, in 1964, the Ferrando family built cellars for the production and ageing of this unique “mountain Barolo” (D.O.C. since 1967).
I've had a 1975 Black Label (long ago, really good).
Rosenthal has only imported them since 1980 according to their website, don't know who previously.
Charles
no avatar
User

Marco Raimondi

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:50 am

Chicago

by Marco Raimondi » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:34 am

According to Sheldon and Pauline Wasserman's "Italy's Noble Red Wines" [1985, New Century Publishers] Ferrando did produce a 1964 black label Carema; the tasting note (from March 1982) describes that wine as: "fragrant, floral bouquet; fruity, still some tannin, but fairly soft and ready; nice now and near its peak, no need to hold any longer." 2 stars.

Incidentally, the Wassermans note that Ferrando produces, "...in some vintages, single-vineyard bottlings...In 1967, he bottled a Vigneto Nusy from Giuseppe Clerino and Vigneto Lavrey from his own vines. In 1969 he made a Vigneto Siei, also from Clerino..."