The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Preliminary Mo'Cool report

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Ohio

Re: Preliminary Mo'Cool report

by JuliaB » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:52 pm

Dave Guimond wrote:Sandusky, OH is only about a 2.5 hour drive from the "slightly west by northwest of Ann Arbor, MI" home of MoCool, and practically in the backyard of one of the Noland brothers. Perhaps another offline gathering is in order?

About the same drive for me, about 30 miles north of Dayton, OH.

Hmmmm

JB
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:08 pm

LuAnne and I could get there from here.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:49 am

It may be hard to work an offline in around the AWS Conference Schedule. It may also be in bad taste, unless something were scheduled for Sunday.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:00 pm

I don't MoCool as JB well knows, but I do have a serious question that is not intended as a criticism. I've noticed in a few photos circulating around the webz, this and previous years,that may of the bottles are labeled with the contributors name. I've not encountered this before at other off-lines* and was curious as to why this occurs. Perhaps it is little more than "we've always done it this way" or maybe there is something else going on.

Curious and bored on a Friday afternoon.

*I also have never attended an offline of MoCool proportions.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Good eye, Winger! It is the way it has always been done, and for good reason. Only the person who brought the bottle is allowed to open it. This allows the person to choose when he/she would like it served. Perhaps the person feels it would be best opened closer to meal time, or wants to be sure his/her particular friend is available for a sample. Most importantly, the person who brought it, probably wants to be sure to get a pour. T'would be a shame to return to the table and find that precious CdP you've been dying to try, is empty!

It's all very civilized at MoCool. You should come!

JB
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:18 pm

JuliaB wrote:Good eye, Winger! It is the way it has always been done, and for good reason. Only the person who brought the bottle is allowed to open it. This allows the person to choose when he/she would like it served. Perhaps the person feels it would be best opened closer to meal time, or wants to be sure his/her particular friend is available for a sample. Most importantly, the person who brought it, probably wants to be sure to get a pour. T'would be a shame to return to the table and find that precious CdP you've been dying to try, is empty!

It's all very civilized at MoCool. You should come!

JB

Got it. Thus it is at other off-lines I've attended, although maybe a bit less formalized. Always a sort of unwritten rule that "if you didn't bring it, don't open it". Although there were a few groups that went by the creed of "if it's here, it's fair game", especially in smaller, more intimate groups of friends.
Thanks for the explanation.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 am

Redwinger wrote:I don't MoCool as JB well knows, but I do have a serious question that is not intended as a criticism. I've noticed in a few photos circulating around the webz, this and previous years,that may of the bottles are labeled with the contributors name. I've not encountered this before at other off-lines* and was curious as to why this occurs. Perhaps it is little more than "we've always done it this way" or maybe there is something else going on.

Curious and bored on a Friday afternoon.

*I also have never attended an offline of MoCool proportions.

It also allows the more pompous among us to see who stopped at Joe's Liquor Barn on the way over to pick up some $7.99 cheapie and plunk it down then go have the gall to ask for a taste of all the 21 Pegau. :roll: :mrgreen:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:24 pm

It sounds like MoCool was a very nice event this year. My congrats to the new group of organizers who pulled this off.
I do have a question... were there any notes from Trombley's Michigan Riesling tasting? I don't remember seeing any.
Also, I was happy to hear that Pegau was showing so well. I've been having a lot of bad bottles (mostly fron 1995 and 2000). I drunk my last bottles of 1981 and 1985 within the past couple years. Both were OUTSTANDING!
Cheers, Gary
no avatar
User

JuliaB

Rank

Woman of Mystery

Ohio

by JuliaB » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. Coming from you, a former organizer, it means a lot. Unfortunately, we organizers were not able to attend John's Michigan Riesling tasting. Hopefully, JC and Sue Courtney will have some notes to share about that. I heard it was very interesting.

Please consider joining us next year. You and Georgina have been missed! MoCool XXIII is August 16, 2014.

Cheers!
JuliaB
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:56 am

JuliaB wrote:
Dave Guimond wrote:Sandusky, OH is only about a 2.5 hour drive from the "slightly west by northwest of Ann Arbor, MI" home of MoCool, and practically in the backyard of one of the Noland brothers. Perhaps another offline gathering is in order?

About the same drive for me, about 30 miles north of Dayton, OH.

Hmmmm

JB

Thought is much appreciated , but I fear logistics get in the way..

There's no free time during conference -- it's literally wine all the way from the 07:30 sparkling wine breakfast through the grand banquet Saturday night.

Sunday we leave for the journey home.

I'll see if I can get to MoCool next year.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:02 pm

That would be very cool!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Ted Richards

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:00 pm

Toronto, Canada

by Ted Richards » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Redwinger wrote:I've noticed in a few photos circulating around the webz, this and previous years,that may of the bottles are labeled with the contributors name. I've not encountered this before at other off-lines* and was curious as to why this occurs.

One other reason for doing it is to allow impromptu horizontals/verticals to be arranged. When you've got 75 people wandering all over the grounds, it makes it a lot easier to find out who brought that bottle of '75 Margaux that you'd like to open along side the bottle of '75 Lafite you brought.
Previous