Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Reccos for Copenhagen (Denmark)?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Reccos for Copenhagen (Denmark)?

by Jenise » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:23 pm

I'm taking my husband to Copenhagen for a birthday weekend, and it's a first visit for both of us. Am interested in hotel, restaurant, and tourism information.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Reccos for Copenhagen (Denmark)?

by Lou Kessler » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:07 pm

Without fear of contradiction it's damn cold there this time of the year. Seriously it's one of the few places in Europe I've wanted to go to but haven't made it for one reason or another.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:27 pm

Some world-traveling friends of ours swear the Kommandanten is one of the best restaurants they have dined at anywhere in the world. The wine list is certainly impressive:

http://www.kommandanten.dk/infoUK/om_os.asp

The menu is equally stunning....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:54 pm

Re the cold, yeah, I know. We're going in March when it will be a little warmer, but it won't be an extreme difference from the Pac NW, just a little cooler.

Lou, you should go! Lots of stuff there you can't get in Napa. Like an Erotica Museum....

Randy, thanks mightily for that recco. That looks PERFECT.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:44 pm

Jenise wrote:

Lou, you should go! Lots of stuff there you can't get in Napa. Like an Erotica Museum....

We have an erotica museum where numerous Napa Cabs containing less than 14% alcohol and cost less than $100.00 a bottle are displayed for the tourists to view. Don't make fun, more of them than WMDs.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:50 pm

LOL, Lou! Can you rent videos there, too?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Jenise wrote:Lou, you should go! Lots of stuff there you can't get in Napa. Like an Erotica Museum ...

Napa has something for everyone, Jenise.

And now what?
no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

by Daniel K » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi Jenise,
Excellent choice of city, Copenhagen is without doubt my favorite Nordic capital. I live only an hour away so I try to go there as often as possible.

The Danes have a thing for french food and wine-50% of all wine sold in Denmark is french- so be prepared for that.

Le Sommelier, great food and excellent winelist.

Restaurationen, french/Danish food. They only serve a set 5 course menu. Ate there a year ago and was very pleased.

Slotskalderen hos Gitte Kik, you can't visit Denmark without having a smorrebrod(open sandwich). Imo you get the best ones here. Open for lunch, make reservations +45 33 11 15 37

Aside from food and wine, i recomend a visit to Christiana. A community within the city founded by hippies in the early 70s. Most famous for "Pusher Street" where you could buy marijuana in the open, authorities were simply looking the other way. This trade closed a few years ago. The architecture alone is worth a visit, so make sure to go now before Christiania is just another generic neighborhood.

That's what I could think of for now.

Oh, almost forgot, make sure to have a glass of Gammeldansk, a (very) bitter spirit and extremly popular in Denmark. They drink all hours of the day, sometimes with breakfast.
The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster
no avatar
User

Chris

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

Jenise's 'hood

by Chris » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:17 pm

I used to work with someone related to the guy who owns that shop in Napa. It was about 2 blocks away from my office. Should've looked into an office discount - would be an unusual "perk".