Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Buckwheat Pancakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Buckwheat Pancakes

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:34 am

I've been craving some buckwheat pancakes for the past few weeks. Probably haven't had them for ~50 years. I did look at some package mixes at the grocer, but decided that I'd forgo the relatively high sodium levels and unpronounceable ingredients listed on the labels. But the craving persisted. So, yesterday when I stumbled upon some buckwheat flour the decision was made to made up a big batch for Sunday breakfast. They were good!
Simple pleasures.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Buckwheat Pancakes

by Jenise » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Do you just substittute buckwheat for normal flour, or does a buckwheat pancake require something extra?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Jenise-
Most recipes call for a 50/50 blend of buckwheat and white flour. I wanted a bit more buckwheat flavor so I did 2/3 mix of buckwheat. I don't see why a simple substitution of either of these blends this into your regular pancake recipe shouldn't work. I was mucking about and substituted sourdough starter for milk and also threw in some vanilla and some ginger, but that stuff is optional.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:15 pm

I use mostly buckwheat in mine. Make them up the night before with yeast, cover, and just let them go up and down all night. Wonderful!

Buckwheat Pancakes:
½ Tablespoon yeast
1 ½ Tablespoon honey
2 ¼ Cups Warm water
1 Cup Buckwheat flour
1/3 Cup White flour
½ Teaspoon Baking soda in 2 Tablespoons Water

Dissolve yeast and honey with warm water in a bean pot or similar vessel. When yeast proofs, add flours and stir thoroughly. Cover and let stand overnight. In morning stir in soda dissolved in water. Grill in “silver dollar” size on 400 degree F grill that is well greased. Recipe makes 30 small pancakes. Easily doubles.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:32 pm

Bump up. Recipe posted!