The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 05 Beaujolais and minor 2000 Bdx

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 05 Beaujolais and minor 2000 Bdx

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:21 am

So Friday had a couple friends/colleagues drop by (signing forms), and then grilled some sausage and sauteed some spinach. Tried 2 wines that I recently ran across that I didn’t necessarily plan on aging this long (and both were relevant to recent interwebz discussions)

2005 JP Brun/Terres Dorees “L’Ancien” Beaujolais
Real cork. Tight at first, with some light reductive notes. After about an hour it's drinking well. Still some tannin, deep black cherry fruit with damp soil and herb notes. Midbodied, quite nice. B+

2000 Larose Trintaudon (Haut-Medoc)
No idea where this came from. Not something I buy, much less age. My guess it was a gift or someone bought it to a big party -but why did I put it in a cellar box rather than a drink soon box? What a surprise. Resolved tannins, moderate black currant and plum fruit, some hints of leather. Not very long, but a perfectly pleasant mature claret. B/B-

Saturday I wasn’t going to drink as I needed to make a late trip to airport, grilled a tuna steak and corn while I did some work. But Betsy’s flight to Atlanta got diverted to Spartanburg, when it became clear she wasn’t going to make it to LGA I had a glass of each of the reds. The Ancien had become a bit volatile and oxidized overnight, but the Larose Trintaudon actually held well. Whoddathunk?

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue May 09, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: WTN: 05 Beaujolais and minor 2000 Bdx

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:05 pm

I've always thought Larose-Trintaudon was better than the rap sheet. A few years back you could pick it up for $13-!6 per bottle. If I'm not mistaken it is the largest producer in the Medoc, but a solid one nevertheless. Not a classified wine (en 1855) but a solid Cru Bourgeois. I always have a few in the cellar. A nice "go to" mid week or even week-end wine. Opened a 2005 Larose Trintaudon about a month ago and it was very nice (after a 2 hour decant), 89-90 pts.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Just another wine to make me wonder why we age Beaujolais.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:47 pm

Richard Fadeley wrote:I've always thought Larose-Trintaudon was better than the rap sheet.//If I'm not mistaken it is the largest producer in the Medoc, .

Yeah, its huge. I don't generally think wines are bad, they are just a bit generic. I could see ordering in a restaurant if well priced, but not what I generally look to buy. And few would recommend aging till 13. :)

David M. Bueker wrote:Just another wine to make me wonder why we age Beaujolais.

I dunno. Tannins were still there, but more manageable. B+ isn't too bad for a wine I paid $10-11 for. And some aged Beaujolais (99 Roilette Tardive!!!!!!!!!!!!!) has truly rocked my world.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:50 pm

But was it really any better? Given the easy availability of Beaujolais I'm not sure I will keep using cellar space for it.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:04 pm

You don't need cellar space for the CB or even the BV. Just stick them in a closet or some cool space. Example, the DuBeouf '10 Beaujolais Village is very nice at this time, not so much so a year ago. The '09 CB's are almost all strutting their stuff. All at prices from $8-$14, nice for a "cheap date". Good deals, particularly when we have "tailgate season" coming up. And they fit nicely into a cooler during the heat of the day.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:21 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:But was it really any better?

More power to you if you get as much pleasure from the fresh Beaujolais vintage as an aged bottle. And I'm not one with a fetish for tertiary wine, but from what I drink, certain vintages of Foillard and Descombes have much more appealing textures after a few years of aging. And as I keep coming back to mention, that 98 Chamonard that was on the market recently almost made a believer out of me.

But yes, while I can find a reason to age certain Beaujolais, it's not at the top of the priority list.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:51 am

In the case of '05 Beaujolais, very little of it was fun to drink in its youth: too structured and tight. A few years to unwind and -- voila! -- a much more open and giving wine. True, that was the characteristic of the vintage, but I'm sitting on a bunch of '09s, waiting for them to soften and open up, too.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:45 am

Mark,

I find that interesting in light of the release comments on 2009 that were frequently about soft, open, spoof!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:45 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Mark,

I find that interesting in light of the release comments on 2009 that were frequently about soft, open, spoof!

More often I heard the comment of "overripe," but spoofy or soft, not so much. Personally, I felt that '09 had almost as much structure as '05 but far more forward fruitiness that helped to mask it early on. YMMV of course.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:35 pm

Well I've got enough 2009s that I am going to have to let some of them age.
no avatar
User

Richard Fadeley OLD

Rank

Ultra geek

by Richard Fadeley OLD » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Talking about minor 2000 Bdx, last night we had a Cht La Fleur Saint Georges 2000 Lalande de Pomerol. Was quite nice with a pan seared NY strip. Not sure of the cost, since it was a gift. But very enjoyable.
Richard Fadeley, CWS
aka Webwineman
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:48 pm

I also am in camp that felt 2009 was very ripe and giving, but also tannic, and then many shut down. Never would have called them soft, and spoofed to me is more about production than vintage. Me, I was happy with this. If I paid for storage I might not be as eager to age Beaujolais.