Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What do you use to sharpen your knives?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

What do you use to sharpen your knives?

by Jon Peterson » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 pm

I've got both a traditional steel and a thingy that you set on the counter and pull the knife through several times, one side's ceramic and the other's some kind of stone. You're supposed to do the stone side first then the ceramic. Last week, I watched in awe as a chef used a "Wicked Edge" sharpening device which looked amazing but very time consuming. They're expensive, too, like close to $200.

What do you use and do you sharpen ceramic knives as well as steel knives?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: What do you use to sharpen your knives?

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:48 pm

We have a three-sided stone thing with a different stone on each side that I bought at a restaurant supply shop and one of those small sharpeners that has two metal rods set at a v-angle. After numerous attempts using both of these, I've given up and started taking ours to a professional sharpener.

We don't own any ceramic knives, so I can't comment on them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:52 pm

My Kyocera knives are sent to the factory every two years or so for repair. They take out the chipped edges and sharpen. Sometimes they charge 10.00 for two knives, sometimes nothing. As far as I know you cannot sharpen ceramic knives at home.

My other knives, I have a mobile knife service who also does the local hospitals here in town, sharpen my knives, when needed.
The steel does not really sharpen....it realigns the knifes edge, and should be used every time you use the knife.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I use a steel to hone. For sharpening, which I try to hold to once every three months, I used one of the Chef's Choice electrical knife sharpeners for quite a while, but I decided to start using a diamond stone a couple of years ago and have been very happy indeed with the results. The stone cost about $30, should last forever, and it's quick and easy to use ... lots of YouTube videos show the technique if you're wary. The combination of occasional stone sharpening with frequent honing keeps my knives as sharp as restaurant ware, I think - certainly my chef's knife is as sharp as my Kyocera ceramic. My only concern is that the diamond stone could eventually start wearing down the knives if I over use it, but I try to be prudent. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:13 pm

Oh, I haven't had the Kyocera long enough for it to need sharpening. I did run it down the steel one time, gently, just to see what would happen, but as far as I could tell, nothing did. :lol:
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:48 pm

I use a Chef's Choice diamond "steel" for normal honing, and an old-fashioned 2-sided Carborundum stone when the knife needs some work.
I learned many years ago how to sharpen knives, scissors, hatchets, chisels, lathe bits and whatever. The Carborundum stone gets used two or three times a year on the paring and utility knives I use most often.
The stone, steel, whatever, is less important than the angles and pressures, and that does take practice.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:49 pm

I only use a steel. There is a truck that comes around the neighborhood to sharpen things but I would not trust them with fine knives (...they're OK for scut knives, scissors, etc.). Once a year, or so, I take the knives to a pro.
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:39 am

I use a Messermeister Ceramic Rod Knife Sharpener. Although it says its a sharpener, I think it is more a honer than a sharpener. Professional sharpening every few years is the lazy cook's way to go!
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Thanks for your views. Looks like I'll be seeing a profseional sharpener between my honing.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:26 am

Jon Peterson wrote:Thanks for your views. Looks like I'll be seeing a profseional sharpener between my honing.

Over the years, I've tried several different "at home" sharpeners, but none get the knives as sharp as a professional can (or a good whetstone can). I now just use a steel at home and take them to a pro for sharpening. And Robin: you can't hone a ceramic blade with a steel. Ceramic isn't pliant like steel.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:44 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:And Robin: you can't hone a ceramic blade with a steel. Ceramic isn't pliant like steel.

I knew that! :mrgreen: (I just thought it would be interesting to see what happened ... )
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:06 pm

I have a two-sided (one coarse, one fine) whetstone for my Chinese cleavers, which are about the only kitchen knife I ever use.

-Paul W.