The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines in Maine & NY (Loire, CA, Burg, more)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wines in Maine & NY (Loire, CA, Burg, more)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:13 pm

So Sunday I got my poor delayed bride at airport, and took her home for a nap before we drove to Portland ME. Our much later start meant dinner on the road, so no wine Sunday. Monday we skipped the communal dinner for a dinner for two, at 555 in Portland. We had been to a lobster shack for a late lunch, so decided to do a 3 course prix fixe vs one of the tasting menus. We were happy with the food. An amuse of swordfish “gravlax” with toasted fennel, then Betsy had a baby lettuce salad while my starter was olive oil poached halibut in a citrus/tomato broth. Then I had seared/blackened local scallops with vanilla-glazed carrots and a potato/parsnip mash; her main was truffled mac & cheese with lobster. I finished with cheese (a Maine cheddar and a Vermont brie-like soft cheese), Betsy had shortbread with blueberry-buttermilk ice cream.

I chose the 2008 de Villiaine “Les Clous” Bourgogne. Very lemony, some honeysuckle and peach blossom floral notes, bracing acids. As it warmed a bit it seemed fuller and less tart. Went well with the food. B+

Tuesday we went to the festival dinner (each night a board member or supporter does a buffet for the musicians), wonderful location in Falmouth- beautiful house, we were out on back porch above a rolling lawn looking down on a sailboat harbor in Casco Bay and an island. Pretty amazing spread- very good salmon, pork roast, chicken, 2 green salads, 3-4 other salads. I took along a Barolo but we stuck to whites and pink

2012 La Ferme Julien rose
short, but clean strawberry flavors, light, easy. B-

2011 La Ferme Julien (Coteaux des Luberon) blanc
Tart, oily, short, medicinal, not appealing. C

Short vacation! I had to miss the concerts and get back to work, so Wed took Amtrak back to NY (well, CT, as my SIL picked me up in Stamford). I’ll give a shout out to train as a civilized way to travel- lots of room, power and wifi, yahoo. Spend a bit of time with the dog, then headed to waterfront concert. No time for food (I picked up a plate from soul food vendor at concert), but I had chilled a couple bottles before I left, and others shared wine. Beautiful night (more early fall-like, cool with a breeze off Hudson), with a really nice group.

2010 Huet “Le Haut Lieu” Vouvray Sec
A little tight at first, but opens nicely. Wax, wool, and citrus peel. Just a hint of sugar. Lively acids, excellent length, B+/A-

2012 Mas de Gourgonnier (Les Baux de Provence)
Clean, classic, herbs over red fruit. B

NV Szigeti Gruner Veltliner Brut
Very crisp/tart, citrusy, not very long but clean, B-

2008 Domaine de Montcy Cour-Cheverny
Waxy, green apples, pit fruits. Nice. B

There was also a modest Bordeaux whose name I missed, but which didn’t thrill me.

Last night was ritual exchanging of keys with those that watched Lucy while I was gone and those whose dogs I’ll watch over next few days. I shared a glass of the 2012 La Clarine Farm Rose with one friend. Mostly Syrah with some Mourvedre, Semillon, & Viognier. Unfined and unfiltered label says, that’s pretty obvious looking at it, pretty cloudy. Good acids, red fruits, mineral, citrus peel, a bit of tannin. Reminds me of an orange wine more than typical rose. Good and different (but not “quaffable”). B

With dinner (grilled quail, caprese, broccoli), I opened the 2010 Baudry “Grezeaux” Chinon.
Babykiller! But what a nice baby. Superb balance of fruit, acid, tannin. Black cherry, tobacco leaf, mineral. Very good, A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Wines in Maine & NY (Loire, CA, Burg, more)

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks for the update on the Grezeaux. I have found the Domaine rather closed recently, so was avoiding the others.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Wines in Maine & NY (Loire, CA, Burg, more)

by Rahsaan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:28 pm

Dale Williams wrote:2010 Huet “Le Haut Lieu” Vouvray Sec
A little tight at first, but opens nicely. Wax, wool, and citrus peel. Just a hint of sugar. Lively acids, excellent length, B+/A-

Nice. Tonight I had the 2010 Pinon Trois Argiles. I don't drink a lot of Pinon and when I do I am usually immediately struck by how much less regal and poised it is in comparison to Huet. But, this was quite nice and only gained more finesse and poise as the bottle went on. Plus, 2010 was nice and is relaxing compared to the difficult '11s.