RoofGate / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

RoofGate / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:05 am

B"SD.
A gate around a house obviously can serve as a deterrent for keeping unwanteds out.
A gate around a house can keep that which is higher up from falling.
Oureal thoughts can soar towards the stratosphere.
We need however a safeguard to sometimes contain them within the realm of reality.
Have a good one; H
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: RoofGate / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Moshe F » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi Harry,

Looking forward to the WeeksEnd for sure.

Anyone have suggestions on what to pair with lamb chops?
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Jonathan K » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Moshe F wrote:Hi Harry,

Looking forward to the WeeksEnd for sure.

Anyone have suggestions on what to pair with lamb chops?

I don't know what you have on hand and it depends a little on how you are preparing them but I am a fan of Syrah or Pinot Noir with lamb.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Jonathan,
thanks. salt, pepper, rosemary, olive oil, on a grill pan... I live around the corner from two kosher wine stores which typically have good selections. Just wondering if there is something i should stay away from... aside from wine i don't like of course :wink:
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:52 pm

The 2009 Russian River Chard is what I am tasting now - LOVE IT!!!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Shavua tov Harry and folks,

HHW, Mount Hevron Reserve, Syrah 2004: GREAT SURPRISE! This was a true shocker! Made from Syrah grapes grown in the Jerusalem mountains and aged for 18 months in new French and American oak barrels. Dark garnet with on the nose bursting aromas of melting chocolate followed by cherries, blackberry jam and plums. Full-bodied with on the palate plums, cherries, crème de cassis, sweet cedar wood, blackberries, chocolate covered cherries, black pepper and vanilla with nice acid and soft, integrating tannins that rise on a a long and plush finish. Excellent wine that has aged beautifully, throwing only a tiny bit of sediment and with about a couple years left at its peak, there's some controlled sweetness as well and it's a joy to sip with rich meat dishes.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:55 pm

Hi, Harry, shavu'a tov,

2010 Tzuba Pinot Noir. Same as last time. Friday night, wife thinks it is just fine, but I feel "heat." Shabbat AM it was just fine.

A good week to all,

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:37 am

hi; friday night Mt Tavor cab 2012.A wine with nice weight to it,and full of flavors with a long finish.By day rashbi from argentina,imported by black sea;malbec reserve 2013.Started off with some funkiness but opened into a very enjoyable wine.Wondering if anyone tried the (reg.)cab from this winery ? h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:02 pm

BS"D

Shabbos Trinkin'

2010 Vignobles David Cotes De Rhone Reserve - Earth.. Fruit and soft yet present.. Nice love the middle flavors
2012 Teperberg Collage - Tuti fruit yet does not go over the edge of Sweet.. Nice little dry Quafer.
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Alexander F » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:35 pm

Hi Harry,
Enjoyed some whisky over the weekend.

Glenlivet 18 - mead, flowers, caramel, soft and round as 18 years old is expected to be. No alcohol, only heat. Great as is from appropriate single-malt glass.

Laphroiag 18 - muscular and powerful with its 48%AbV, but doesn't bite as young 10years old cousins. On the palate it is like Lag Ba Omer. Fresh, intense smoke rounded just a bit with some caramel sweetness. Not for everyone.

Lagavulin 16 - a perfect mixture of the two above.

HVAGUD1
Alexander F
Ultra geek

Postby Sam M » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:48 pm

2010 saslov aviv cabernet.
Pretty good wine- smelled like pure alcohol when first opened the bottle.
But became enjoyable quickly. Cinnamon, nutmeg, earthy
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Bill Coleman » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 am

Weiss Brothers Weekend!

Friday night -- 2010 Counterpunch
Saturday -- 2010 The Coalition
Bill Coleman
Ultra geek

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Harry,

Hagafen White Riesling Napa Valley 2011 - This bottling is sweeter than the Devoto Vineyard, and its fruit profile is different, too. Apricots and peaches dominate the nose and palate, and the acidity, while present, isn't very crisp. The food pairing was better than expected given its approximate 4% residual sugar. Of the four different riesling bottlings from Hagafen, this is my least favorite. 11% AbV and $24 at the winery. B-/**/N

Tzora Judean Hills 2009 - The blend is dominated by 72% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the rest is 18% Merlot and 10% Syrah. It has very ripe flavors, mostly of plums, complemented by chocolate. I wonder if this is due to the hot '09 vintage, or to the direction this wine is taking. I would have preferred a tighter leaner wine, but evidently my guest liked it, because between us the bottle emptied. It's one of those wines that leaves in its wake a richer bouquet in the glass than in the mouth. 14.5% AbV. C+/**/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:34 pm

Kent Rosenblum 2008 Pato vineyard petite sirah. Luscious.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:36 pm

Fri Night- no wine but a some La Chouffe, refreshing
Sat lunch - Bartenura Chianti , low alcohol quaffer
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:39 am

Friday night went with 2009 Carmel Shiraz Single Vineyard Kayoumi. Was sweet with lots of leathery fruity tones but really good with salty lamb.
By day a friend brought 2010 Bazelet Hagolan Merlot which was really nice but I think it doesn't warrant the price.
The Psagot Prat which must have been a bad bottle because it wasn't good, Raisin juice and TONS of sediment...tons...
And a beer called Mississippi Mud, a charming Black and Tan in what looks like a ceramic jug.

A good week to all.
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:30 am

Lamb chops?

The only wine to drink with lamb chops,loin or rib chops I mean, is Cabernet Sauvignon of the highest rank.

Merlot, Syrah, Pinot all work fine with beef and many other red meat dishes, but lamb chops DEMAND Cabernet Sauvignon at at least $30/bottle quality level.

IMHO.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Moshe F » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:31 am

lewis.pasco wrote:Lamb chops?

The only wine to drink with lamb chops,loin or rib chops I mean, is Cabernet Sauvignon of the highest rank.

Merlot, Syrah, Pinot all work fine with beef and many other red meat dishes, but lamb chops DEMAND Cabernet Sauvignon at at least $30/bottle quality level.

IMHO.

Then I must have another go at the lamb and pair it with your suggestion :D
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Jonathan K » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:51 am

Moshe F wrote:
lewis.pasco wrote:Lamb chops?

IMHO.

Then I must have another go at the lamb and pair it with your suggestion :D

Indeed. I have always been a Pinot proponent with lamb although I have found Syrah to be a good match. I will open a nice can the next time I have lamb chops which I hope will be soon.
Jonathan K
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac C » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:34 am

Posting late on a few weeks. Ella Valley Vineyard's Choice Cabernet 2007 - awesome!
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum