The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1998 Corison "Napa Valley"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

1998 Corison "Napa Valley"

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:54 am

Best of my three bottles. This was a lovely bottle of mature Napa Cabernet! Warm, truffle-y, earthy and leathery fruit with beautiful notes of cassis and raspberry. Soft and smooth. What a beautiful bottle of wine.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: 1998 Corison "Napa Valley"

by Brian Gilp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:54 am

Dang it. I really regret not picking some of these up when there were available last year. Price was fairly good too since selling 1998s cabs is not all that easy these days.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:20 pm

I have really enjoyed the 1998s I have tried from wineries that focus on "balance" and ageability.

Clos du Val comes to mind.

I have one more bottle of "Kronos" vineyard left. Will definitely be trying it soon.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 pm

C'mon guys this is familiar. Many wineries just weren't able to get grapes picked that hadn't been affected by some bad weather around harvest time. In almost all "bad" vintages some wineries are lucky enough to obtain good fruit. There was a great deal of "bad" wine in 1998 here & Sonoma.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:C'mon guys this is familiar. Many wineries just weren't able to get grapes picked that hadn't been affected by some bad weather around harvest time. In almost all "bad" vintages some wineries are lucky enough to obtain good fruit. There was a great deal of "bad" wine in 1998 here & Sonoma.

Sure, Lou, but the "lucky" wineries aren't randomly distributed: certain conscientious growers can make good wine, year in and year out. '98s from those wineries won't taste like '99s or '97s, but they'll still be good and might, to people like Brian and myself, be tastier than those made in riper years. Kermit Lynch talks about that in his "Adventures on the Wine Route."

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:00 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:C'mon guys this is familiar. Many wineries just weren't able to get grapes picked that hadn't been affected by some bad weather around harvest time. In almost all "bad" vintages some wineries are lucky enough to obtain good fruit. There was a great deal of "bad" wine in 1998 here & Sonoma.

Sure, Lou, but the "lucky" wineries aren't randomly distributed: certain conscientious growers can make good wine, year in and year out. '98s from those wineries won't taste like '99s or '97s, but they'll still be good and might, to people like Brian and myself, be tastier than those made in riper years. Kermit Lynch talks about that in his "Adventures on the Wine Route."

Mark Lipton

Some vineyards ripen earlier than others, some people guess wrong and think the sun will come out again and soon. Once the juice is very diluted even "God" has a problem making good wine. Some of the "best" wineries, my kind, didn't make good wine in 1998. Hollow in the middle short finishes.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:49 pm

Couple months ago my SOBER group had a blind flight that turned out to be 97 and 98 Corison Kronos. Both very good wines, and I rated equally.