The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Only 3 wines this week (2 CA rose, 1 GG)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Only 3 wines this week (2 CA rose, 1 GG)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Monday and Tues had leftover wine from Sunday party (the 96 Bongran held amazingly well, I liked it better than day 1), Wed was 2012 Edmund St John Bone Jolly Gamay Rosewith grilled skirt steak. Full red fruits, mineral and baking spices, very satisfying. B+

I was hit by a virus or something and skipped wine Th-Sat (no stomach issues, just seemed unwise to drink if not sure what is going on). Sunday I decided I would pop a 2012 Arnot-Roberts Touriga Nacional Rose with grilled salmon (and also had it Monday with margherita pizza). Steely, mineral, good length. I maybe enjoyed a tad less than previous bottles, but think that was me rather than wine. B+/B

Tuesday I was feeling better (and got blood work results back and that perked me up). pork chops with an anchovy/honey glaze, with the 2011 Donnhoff Hermannshole Grosse Gewachs. Babykiller! This is taut, lemony, stony as all hell. Reminds me of a great vintage of Steiner Hund. All about minerality, but there is citrus peel, fresh blossoms, ginger there. Very full, very long, very promising. Needs time, but I enjoy now. A potential.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.