The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Modern Right Bank Bordeaux Impresses

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: A Modern Right Bank Bordeaux Impresses

by David M. Bueker » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:05 am

2000 Château La Fleur de Boüard - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Lalande de Pomerol (8/6/2013)
This is certainly drinking well, and while it still shows more oak than I would prefer, it also has a great depth of flavor with not just ripe fruit, but also meaty accents. Still has plenty of everything (including some tannin) to keep going and even improving for quite a while longer as well. Quite impressive for a very modern right bank wine.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: A Modern Right Bank Bordeaux Impresses

by Howie Hart » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:27 am

Interesting - last night I opened a 2003 Ch. La Fleur St. Georges with a family dinner of grilled rib eyes. The wine was given to me at Christmas, by one of my sons. Based on the horror stories I've heard of the 2003 vintage, it was not bad at all! I'd venture it is Merlot dominated, as I did not pick up any of the typical aged CS or CF aromas of cedar, pencil shavings or tobacco - just a hint of leather and blackberry. Dark ruby color. Good balance of acid and tannins. I was going to post this as a separate TN, but piggy-backing here seemed appropriate.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:21 pm

Hi David and Howie (whom I am looking forward to seeing again in less than 2 weeks),

I have a few bottles of the 2000 Bouard as well and I have also been impressed. (This chateau's owner is one of the proprietors of Angelus, as you probably know.) Other wines I have enjoyed in this same line of country are two from von Neipperg: Canon La Gaffeliere (2001) and Clos de l'Oratoire (2000). Like the Bouard, these are rich, complex, but also well-balanced wines--very fun to drink and to me to some degree eye opening.

Best,
Josh
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 am

Some of these modern right bank wines are holding up, where others are collapsing. I also have the 2000 Fombrauge, which is another ultra-modern right bank wine, and it has largely cracked up.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joshua Kates

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:48 pm

by Joshua Kates » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:57 pm

Thanks, David,

For the heads-up. I haven't yet had that experience; but I'll be on the look out. I am going to crack open a 2000 Yon-Figeac next weekend (along w/a 98 Calon-Segur and 96 Segla, second wine of Rausan-Segla), so we'll see how that goes.

Best,
Josh