The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Whetstone Cellars in Napa

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Whetstone Cellars in Napa

by Brian K Miller » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:28 am

New winery project in a very old Atlas Peak Road cut stone building that is pretty amazing. Basically up the road from the Silverado Country Club next door to the old Del Dotto place. Purchased fruit- A nice savory Chardonnay from Carneros, a very black fruited Pinot from the Russian River Valley that would go extremely well with a steak, and a more red fruited Pinot-ish Sonoma Coast Pinot. The Syrah clocked in at 16%, which I did not taste at all!!!!! All of the wines had freshness from a noticeable core of acid and a strong savory element which I enjoyed. Plus, the building and grounds are beautiful!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Whetstone Cellars in Napa

by Lou Kessler » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:08 pm

You were a hop, step & a jump from my home. Those red tiled roofed homes across the street from Del Dotto, well we live in one of those. Del dotto is not supposed to be open to the public but he's not one for following rules.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:14 am

Lou, now we know where your digs are, we will all head over next time in the area!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:52 am

Lou Kessler wrote:You were a hop, step & a jump from my home. Those red tiled roofed homes across the street from Del Dotto, well we live in one of those. Del dotto is not supposed to be open to the public but he's not one for following rules.

My understanding was this new winery is independent from Del Dotto? Which is definitely right next door. I have tasted wine at DD in the past, and they never said anything about an appointment or the like. At one point, they had a nice, small selection of retail wines as well!

The Whetstone website and the tasting room "story" certainly doesn't mention any direct Del Dotto links??????

The nice young lady also indicated that Whetstone had literally just reopened about a month ago, after extensive code upgrades to the building.

Silverado is a very picturesque place to live, Lou!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:53 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:You were a hop, step & a jump from my home. Those red tiled roofed homes across the street from Del Dotto, well we live in one of those. Del dotto is not supposed to be open to the public but he's not one for following rules.

My understanding was this new winery is independent from Del Dotto? Which is definitely right next door. I have tasted wine at DD in the past, and they never said anything about an appointment or the like. At one point, they had a nice, small selection of retail wines as well!

The Whetstone website and the tasting room "story" certainly doesn't mention any direct Del Dotto links??????

The nice young lady also indicated that Whetstone had literally just reopened about a month ago, after extensive code upgrades to the building.

Silverado is a very picturesque place to live, Lou!

I don't believe Whetstone has anything to do with Del Dotto. One of the people who posted on this board a few years back used to run the Del Dotto tasting room etc. He put the retail shop together with my help. I actually have no idea what Frank is doing now. He developed a severe case of flakyness, I believe Hoke knew him also if he wants to admit that.