Looking for a couple of wines in Israel

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Looking for a couple of wines in Israel

Postby YoelA » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Does anyone know where in the Tel Aviv area we might find

Recanati carignan "wild reserve" (preferably 2009 vintage)

or

Asif/Midbar orange wine ?

Thanks
YoelA
Wine guru

Re: Looking for a couple of wines in Israel

Postby Or Shoham » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:17 am

YoelA wrote:Does anyone know where in the Tel Aviv area we might find

Recanati carignan "wild reserve" (preferably 2009 vintage)

or

Asif/Midbar orange wine ?

Thanks

The 2009 vintage of the Carignan is long-gone from store shelves (as far as I know, anyway), but the 2010 should be available in most places - I see it listed on WineDepot, which is in the Tel-Aviv area. The 2011 isn't due out for about six months, unfortunately.
The Midbar Orange 2010 is listed as available at Naftali's (goodwines.co.il), or you could call the winery and ask (I recently purchased one directly from the winery along with several of their other wines and they were happy to help). They also sell it on the winery's website but I am not sure what their policy on shipping is.
Or Shoham
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Yoel, you can get the Wild Carignan ('10) at Mendel, 200 Ben Yehuda and likely for the best price in town.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:11 am

How does the 2010 carignan compare to the 2009 (which Rogov loved)?
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:11 am

The 10 is not as in your face as the 2009 - but still nice. Many of the critics like the 09 better, but the 10 will not disappoint that is for sure.
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:44 pm

The sales rep for Midbar is a young guy named Amir. I had my doubts as to whether he is still with them, as he wears a kippah, and in light of the winery's change of direction with regard to Oriyah, and kashrut, etc.....

However, I just got an email from him offering wines, including the Orange, so that answers that question.

Last time I bought from them, Amir delivered the wine to my house (he lives close by.) I believe he mentioned that their storage facility is in the Tel Aviv area, so I assume he would deliver to you there, as well.

His number is 052-593-2200

Mark Lieser
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby YoelA » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:19 pm

It's not I who is in ISrael, but my wife, who wants to buy me a special bottle of wine for my birthday.
I looked at Naphtali's website but it only gives phone numbers, not addresses. Is that a store or only an online shop?
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Or Shoham » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:02 pm

YoelA wrote:It's not I who is in ISrael, but my wife, who wants to buy me a special bottle of wine for my birthday.
I looked at Naphtali's website but it only gives phone numbers, not addresses. Is that a store or only an online shop?

They have three physical locations, all in the Tel-Aviv general area. I've personally only worked with the online site, so I am unsure if inventory is likely to be identical at all three - may be best to call ahead and ask. Information (in Hebrew), along with address and maps, at http://www.goodwines.co.il/64147/snifim .

Insofar as the Carignan's vintage, I seem to have gotten myself confused over the vintages - they have run 2009-2011, with the 2012 to be released in 6 months, rather than 2008-2010 as I thought I remembered. I would expect the 2011 to be the one on store shelves, rather than the 2010, in this case - though again, best to call and ask. I would agree with David's assessment of the 2010, and based on my cellar list, it seems I liked the 2011 even better than the 2010 (and I've pre-ordered the 2012, as well) - regardless of vintage, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.
Or Shoham
Ultra geek

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:44 pm

Or Shoham wrote:Insofar as the Carignan's vintage, I seem to have gotten myself confused over the vintages - they have run 2009-2011, with the 2012 to be released in 6 months, rather than 2008-2010 as I thought I remembered. I would expect the 2011 to be the one on store shelves, rather than the 2010, in this case - though again, best to call and ask. I would agree with David's assessment of the 2010, and based on my cellar list, it seems I liked the 2011 even better than the 2010 (and I've pre-ordered the 2012, as well) - regardless of vintage, I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

Actually the 2009 and 2010 are quite similar in style, full-bodied and concentrated but with noticeable Brett in the 2010 that doesn't bother me personally as it's not overwhelming for my taste but others think differently. The 2010 is actually still the most commonly found on shelves nowadays, at leats in the Jerusalem area. The 2011 is a bit different and lighter but very nice as well. Given the high quality of the 2012 I have high expectations and I'm looking forward to taste it either around or over Pesach.
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum