The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

A fine California Sangiovese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

A fine California Sangiovese

by Brian K Miller » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:39 pm

2011 Fields Family Lodi Sangiovese.

Pleasant red fruit with fine grained tannins and some nice structure. Good acidity without being shrill in any way. Very nice wine!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: A fine California Sangiovese

by John Treder » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:00 pm

I've had only a few Fields Family wines. They've been good, IMO. Better than the run of Lodi.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:21 pm

I've never found a California Sangio I loved although I've tasted some I didn't hate (e.g. Atlas Peak). The only thing I avoid with even more fervour is CA Nebbiolo - unremitting crapola in my experience. Glad to see you found a good one.

BTW, my measure of quality is based on cost and taste. If it costs twice as much as a Chianti that tastes better than it does, then the CA wine has no reason for being. If it is just as good and the same price, I'd consider it.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I've never found a California Sangio I loved although I've tasted some I didn't hate (e.g. Atlas Peak). The only thing I avoid with even more fervour is CA Nebbiolo - unremitting crapola in my experience. Glad to see you found a good one.

BTW, my measure of quality is based on cost and taste. If it costs twice as much as a Chianti that tastes better than it does, then the CA wine has no reason for being. If it is just as good and the same price, I'd consider it.

The best thing they did with Atlas Peak Sangiovese was blend it with Cabernet Sauvignon, Bill.

CA Sangiovese in general is really, really good for rose', and makes a lovely additive variety for Blanc de Noirs Sparkling as well.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm

Hoke wrote:The best thing they did with Atlas Peak Sangiovese was blend it with Cabernet Sauvignon, Bill.

Oops - just noticed a couple of bottles of Atlas Consenso in the cellar - time to drink!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:33 am

Bill Spohn wrote:I've never found a California Sangio I loved although I've tasted some I didn't hate (e.g. Atlas Peak). The only thing I avoid with even more fervour is CA Nebbiolo - unremitting crapola in my experience. Glad to see you found a good one.

That's been my general experience as well, Bill.

Fields wines are pretty reasonably priced. Not sure it would meet the "as cheap as cheap Chianti" rule.

Da Rosa in Dry Creek makes an "OK" Sangiovese, but when they blend it with Sangratino (yes, Sangratino!) it makes an impressive and delicious wine. This may be heresy, even, but I prefer it to most of the Umbrian versions I have had! :shock:

Luna's "Reserve" Sangiovese bottling was pretty good. They also charged $50 for it. :? The regular bottling takes like liquefied candy red hots, if I recall. :?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach