Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

It's a guy thing, right?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

It's a guy thing, right?

by Jenise » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:47 am

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: It's a guy thing, right?

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:12 am

For those who like gadgets.

Though I'll admit I could use something over my eyes when I'm pan-sauteeing salmon. By the time I've stood it up on the fourth edge the fumes coming off the hot fat are pretty irritating.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:53 am

I wonder why they did not make them to fit over glasses, or at least, offer a model which does. I don't know about other grillers, but the griller in my house would not remember to put them on. He does not even use all the tools I bought him for his grill...always comes in the house and grabs my kitchen tools. :lol:
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:58 am

Don't mind the smoke at all. It kills all the bugs on me.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 pm

Smoke maybe, but how do you get splatter on a grill?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:10 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Smoke maybe, but how do you get splatter on a grill?

Immaterial! You're supposed to just stand there and believe you look cooler than Guy Fieri and THAT'S all that matters. :wink: Next stop: peroxide.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:45 pm

The "innovative grilling eye protection technology" part sold me. I mean, the old grilling eye protection technology was so cumbersome and inefficient.
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:05 pm

Tom, while you're at it, you might pick up these for Wifey.

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/25483-onion-goggles.aspx

They must work, because all the one-sentence over-the-top endorsements from Real People Like You (tm) say they do.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Jenise wrote:... from Real People Like You (tm)....

Bwaaahahahaaaa! Very good :lol:

Those look suspiciously like re-branded innovative BBQ goggles, if you ask me. But that's a moot point, as getting them for NewWifey(tm) would be like getting golf clubs for my corgi. (Although come to think of it, if they provide an effective barrier against onion fumes they might give her some relief finally from my halitosis-like post-workout back hair.)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Not sure about the grill goggles and even less sure about the onion goggles.
For my money the best way to avoid onion fumes is by placing a small, say 6inch, fan blowing across you cutting surface when preparing
onions works brilliantly and keeps you cool on other occasions (ladies on the board will understand!) Cost? 5-10 dollars here. And you can wear
your spectacles.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:33 am

Tom NJ wrote:
Jenise wrote:... from Real People Like You (tm)....

Bwaaahahahaaaa! Very good :lol:

Those look suspiciously like re-branded innovative BBQ goggles, if you ask me. But that's a moot point, as getting them for NewWifey(tm) would be like getting golf clubs for my corgi. (Although come to think of it, if they provide an effective barrier against onion fumes they might give her some relief finally from my halitosis-like post-workout back hair.)

Golf clubs for the corgi made me laugh out loud. GREAT visual. Since you love that breed, try to picture the blend in my neighborhood. Two purebreds got together, and their offspring got the short legs and body shape of it's corgi mother. EVerything else--head shape, color, style of coat, EVERYTHING, came from it's father. A rottweiler. You have never seen a funnier-looking dog in your life.

But I digress! Here's something else for you and NewWifey: I'm imagining the two of you grilling together in your goggles while enjoying a glass of wine...hands free! The neighbors will be green with envy.
http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Glass-Holder-Necklace/dp/B000W43HF4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375370489&sr=8-2&keywords=wine+glass+neck+holder
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Ha Haaaaaaa! You've got to send a pic of that Corgweiller to the corgi cross-breed list! http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/awesome- ... oss-breeds .

That pendulous wine glass holder is very nice. But NewWifey(tm) and I prefer the comfort and convenience of our matching wine racks: http://www.amazon.com/The-WineRack-200- ... s=wine+bra (I wanted the Beer Belly http://www.amazon.com/The-BeerBelly-200 ... pd_sim_k_1 , but she said it wasn't classy enough.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Tom NJ wrote:That pendulous wine glass holder is very nice. But NewWifey(tm) and I prefer the comfort and convenience of our matching wine racks: http://www.amazon.com/The-WineRack-200- ... s=wine+bra (I wanted the Beer Belly http://www.amazon.com/The-BeerBelly-200 ... pd_sim_k_1 , but she said it wasn't classy enough.)

Please reassure me that you'll get more wine in your wine bra than she'll get in hers.

Otherwise, I agree with her about the beer belly. UNLESS you wear it on a mankini. You might in fact already have one. Is that you, second from the right?

http://www.clothestopose.co.uk/mankini-thongs-9-c.asp
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Yep. Green was always my color, no?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:43 pm

Tom NJ wrote:Yep. Green was always my color, no?

Absolutely. However--and this is just my personal opinion--but I think your junk looks better in the leopard print.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:01 am

I actually have one in paisley for formal occasions, but I think you're right: animal prints really do the trick when you're trying to impress.