The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Great deal on Ridge Petite Sirah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Great deal on Ridge Petite Sirah

by Jenise » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 pm

For you PS lovers. From JJ Buckley in California. If you're not a "private client" you can instantly become one. The guy I deal with there is Geoff Binder, just ask for him and you're in.

2011 Ridge Vineyards
'Lytton Springs Estate' Petite Sirah
Private Client Price: $24.68
(J.J. Buckley Reg: $45.99)

"The 2011 Petite Sirah Lytton Estate is fabulous. There is plenty of varietal notes in the glass, but the mid-weight structure is classic Ridge. Dark cherry, plum, smoke, licorice and melted road tar are layered into the explosive finish.."
-Antonio Galloni, 94+ points
"Endowed with a stunning set of terroirs, the vision of Paul Draper and the talent of winemaker Eric Baugher, Ridge is set to build on an extraordinary legacy of world-class wines. Ridge is one of the best and most intelligently run wineries anywhere in the world...Prices remain exceedingly fair for what are world-class wines in every way."
-Antonio Galloni
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Hmmmm....

by TomHill » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:56 pm

Jenise wrote:For you PS lovers. From JJ Buckley in California. If you're not a "private client" you can instantly become one. The guy I deal with there is Geoff Binder, just ask for him and you're in.
2011 Ridge Vineyards
'Lytton Springs Estate' Petite Sirah
Private Client Price: $24.68
(J.J. Buckley Reg: $45.99)

"The 2011 Petite Sirah Lytton Estate is fabulous. There is plenty of varietal notes in the glass, but the mid-weight structure is classic Ridge. Dark cherry, plum, smoke, licorice and melted road tar are layered into the explosive finish.."
-Antonio Galloni, 94+ points
"Endowed with a stunning set of terroirs, the vision of Paul Draper and the talent of winemaker Eric Baugher, Ridge is set to build on an extraordinary legacy of world-class wines. Ridge is one of the best and most intelligently run wineries anywhere in the world...Prices remain exceedingly fair for what are world-class wines in every way."
-Antonio Galloni

Hmmm.....that price ($46) seems a bit steep, Jenise. I got mine from the wnry at $30. Maybe they bought a bunch at that price & jacked up the price
now that it's sold out at Ridge.
My take on the Ridge Lytton PS: Does not come anywhere close to the Ridge YorkCreek PS of yrs past. It's good stuff, though, and at $30. fairly priced.
Tom
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Great deal on Ridge Petite Sirah

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 am

delete.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Hmmmm....

by Jenise » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:14 am

TomHill wrote:Hmmm.....that price ($46) seems a bit steep, Jenise. I got mine from the wnry at $30. Maybe they bought a bunch at that price & jacked up the price now that it's sold out at Ridge.
My take on the Ridge Lytton PS: Does not come anywhere close to the Ridge YorkCreek PS of yrs past. It's good stuff, though, and at $30. fairly priced.
Tom

Wow. $16 is a pretty big fudge factor--I should have checked it out first. And, it would be pretty hard for anything to hold a candle to the old Ridge York Creeks. Amazing wines, I was lucky to have had two back in the day. The last, a '74, I opened at the Seal Beach restaurant owned by (dovetailing back to a recent post of yours) Brian Babcock's father. I remember the wine and the location, but haven't a clue about what made me take THAT wine there and I remember nothing else about what influenced my choice--looking back, there's no logical connection! And anyone who'd never had one of what we're talking about would never be able to get close to imagining what we mean based on any other PS from anyone.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Great deal on Ridge Petite Sirah

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:48 am

The '71 and '74 Ridge York Creek PS bottlings are the two greatest PS wines I have ever had, and the '71 is in my top ten wines of all time.

The Lytton is good, but sometimes just makes it harder to think about what is gone.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The '71 and '74 Ridge York Creek PS bottlings are the two greatest PS wines I have ever had, and the '71 is in my top ten wines of all time.
The Lytton is good, but sometimes just makes it harder to think about what is gone.

Yup, David. When I had the YC '71 at the RidgeRetrospective of BipinDesai in the mid-'90's,
I thought it was the greatest Calif red wine I'd ever had.
Ridge no longer gets the YC PS grapes. FritzMaytag was selling them to Paul (they're long-time
friends from their Chile days in the PeaceCorps) for a song, and Paul agreed to give them up
so he could get more $$'s for them. I think there is one more vintage of YC PS to be released.
Tom