The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Ridge Dynamite Hill Petit Sirah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

WTN: 2006 Ridge Dynamite Hill Petit Sirah

by Shaji M » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:41 pm

Very well balanced PS even at 7 years young, the tannins are not too overpowering. But something tells me it may not benefit more from age (although I have one more bottle that I will sit on for the sake of science). It's drinking really well right now. Good company for some smoked ribs!
-Shaji
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2006 Ridge Dynamite Hill Petit Sirah

by Jenise » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:17 am

Shaji M wrote:Very well balanced PS even at 7 years young, the tannins are not too overpowering. But something tells me it may not benefit more from age (although I have one more bottle that I will sit on for the sake of science). It's drinking really well right now. Good company for some smoked ribs!
-Shaji

The thing about PS's is, even if they won't develop a whole lot more secondary stuff they can just sit there for seemingly decades. I've got some Scholium Projects (05, I think) that I haven't a clue about when to open. I just stare at them--and they stare back.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 pm

I have '95, '96 and '99 Foppiano PS's that I'm in no hurry to open. Also a Teldeschi '01 that I bought last month. :-) It was "young" in the tasting room.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:26 pm

'95-'97 Ridge York Creek PS just sits in the cellar, on the lowest rack in the darkest corner.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:49 pm

I have some Foppianos from the late 90s as well. Also at least one bottle of Parducci PS from the early 90s. Considering that PS requires crazy amount of patience, some winemakers, especially from the Sierra Foothills, are making much more accessible PS. Cedarville and Wilderotter are two that jump to mind, that few vintages ago were making PS that were not so heavily tannic.
-Shaji
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Lots of people are trying to make PS that's more open when it's young. So far, even the good ones I've tasted haven't been able to keep the cherry, stoney quality that sort of defines PS to me. They seem to be more like a really dark Syrah.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:44 pm

Jenise wrote:...I just stare at them--and they stare back.

hmmm...sounds very cat-like to me.

Just how many Petite Sirah's does Ridge make? They have a Geyerserville that gets bottled when more of the juice is left out of the blend (I don't think it's made every year).
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:13 am

John Treder wrote:Lots of people are trying to make PS that's more open when it's young. So far, even the good ones I've tasted haven't been able to keep the cherry, stoney quality that sort of defines PS to me. They seem to be more like a really dark Syrah.

Good point as I sample a Nicolaysen `07 PS, big bugger of a wine!