Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

University of Nevada in Las Vegas tests hot sauces

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

University of Nevada in Las Vegas tests hot sauces

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:47 am

and has found that many sauces imported from Mexico may contain lead. Cholula is in my fridge all the time and comes from Mexico Tapito is made in CA. So far, no brand names have been released which is curious. Why put out a news alert about the testing if no names are available?
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: University of Nevada in Las Vegas tests hot sauces

by Peter May » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Many may?

sounds very vague.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:28 pm

I stick with Melinda's XXX and Sriracha!
Last edited by Fred Sipe on Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:00 pm

I'm with you, Karen: Cholula is my go-to, in-the-fridge, Mexican hot sauce, Love the Chipotle too.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

It is vague. If they did testing and put it out for public notice why are the brands not named?
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:46 pm

It's been known for some time that lead can be high in chilies from Mexico. The first I heard about it involved candy that's coated in chili powder. Those have tested quite high for lead in the past, and I believe it was the chili powder that was the culprit. Makes sense that the hot sauces might have similar issues.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:16 pm

We use Texas Pete which to the best of my knowledge comes from North Carolina! Hopefully it is lead free!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:I stick with Melinda's XXX and Sriracha!

I've graduated to the XXXX. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:47 am

Besides the old standby Sriracha, I have recently liked an Indonesian one called Sambal Pedas, this one marketed by Heinz!
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 am

My favorite remains Tabasco Chipotle (lead or no lead).
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:03 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We use Texas Pete which to the best of my knowledge comes from North Carolina!

Ha!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:
Carl Eppig wrote:We use Texas Pete which to the best of my knowledge comes from North Carolina!

Ha!

Considering where Carl lives, he thinks the Carolinas are 'south of the border'.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:06 pm

For you Cholula lovers....I received an email from Cholula today assuring me that none of their products contain lead of any sort. They also told me they were not part of the University of Nevada's research.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Wow, the Cholula people are really on top of PR for their product, aren't they? Since they're monitoring this conversation, I hope sometime they go to the "Mexican" restaurant in Terminal B at SeaTac airport, can't recall the name. That restaurant has bottles of Cholula on the tables that are obviously being doctored/refilled from god knows what. It's darker and tastes nothing like real Cholula. We've been fans of the brand for a long time and know Cholula when we taste it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 pm

Jenise wrote:Wow, the Cholula people are really on top of PR for their product, aren't they? Since they're monitoring this conversation, I hope sometime they go to the "Mexican" restaurant in Terminal B at SeaTac airport, can't recall the name. That restaurant has bottles of Cholula on the tables that are obviously being doctored/refilled from god knows what. It's darker and tastes nothing like real Cholula. We've been fans of the brand for a long time and know Cholula when we taste it.

I don't anything about them monitoring this conversation?

I sent their corporate office an email addressing my concerns and they graciously responded back to me. They did their homework first though, and checked to see if the university included them in the results, and they had not.

Perhaps you should procure a bottle of that sauce at Terminal B and send it to Cholula's test lab ...I'd love to see them bust the restaurant for that. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:48 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:I don't anything about them monitoring this conversation?

I sent their corporate office an email addressing my concerns

Oh damn. :| I figured that was how they picked up on your possible concerns. I once got free Stretch Tite and a letter from the president of the company because a bot picked up on my complaint here on this board that Costco had quit carrying their product. I thought similar must have happened to you.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:59 am

I once got free Stretch Tite and a letter from the president of the company because a bot picked up on my complaint here on this board that Costco had quit carrying their product. I thought similar must have happened to you

Great service from Costco. I mentioned something on here about All-Clad cookware, and got a call from their marketing rep. asking if I wanted to test the next generation of All-Clad pans. I got to choose my pan, cook with it, report back on an online conference and kept the pan....great deal and I had fun. Market rep. actually set up a website so all us testers could chat, it was lots of fun.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:49 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:
I once got free Stretch Tite and a letter from the president of the company because a bot picked up on my complaint here on this board that Costco had quit carrying their product. I thought similar must have happened to you

Great service from Costco. I mentioned something on here about All-Clad cookware, and got a call from their marketing rep. asking if I wanted to test the next generation of All-Clad pans. I got to choose my pan, cook with it, report back on an online conference and kept the pan....great deal and I had fun. Market rep. actually set up a website so all us testers could chat, it was lots of fun.

Oh, that wasn't Costco! Great service from Polyvinyl Films, manufacturer of Stretch Tite (which Costco carries again now--I wasn't the only one screaming). And I remember the story of the All-Clad--I was of course very jealous!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Jenise wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:

Oh, that wasn't Costco! Great service from Polyvinyl Films, manufacturer of Stretch Tite (which Costco carries again now--I wasn't the only one screaming). And I remember the story of the All-Clad--I was of course very jealous!

That d5 technology is awesome and it is Gene's favorite pan to clean up besides the Le Creuset pots.
Too bad Williams Sonoma still has the exclusive on it. Too expensive from them yet.

I do have the Stretch Tite in my kitchen again, in a large commercial holder. It is in a bottom drawer under my work area. I just open, and pull it out. Hope my back holds up as long as that box of it is going to last! So far, so good! LOL.