Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Horseradish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Horseradish

by GeoCWeyer » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:48 am

I am finally ready to plant the root that was given me. My plan is to bury all but 2-3 inches of a large flower pot in the ground. Then plant the root in the pot and let it go until next year. Giving it water when necessary and some fertilizer. Then, harvest some of it next spring and keep the "mother" portion of the radish going.
Questions; Living in MN do I cover it with leaves for the winter? Am I correct in harvesting it in the spring? If so, do I harvest it early or in late spring? Or, do I let it go another year before harvesting? When harvesting do I just break a piece off? Or, will there be other separate radishes?

By the time I have it in hand I should have researched how to best process it. I look at it as an adventure just as growing ghost and butch peppers. In the case of the horseradish though I intend to eat it. I give the peppers away to adventurous soles.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Horseradish

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:20 pm

I have not grown it myself, but I do know in that part of the country, it is very invasive. So planting in a pot sounds like the best way. I have heard stories about how folk take a rototiller to try and get rid of it. All that does is spread the roots and it grows even more plants. Sounds like a fun project.
no avatar
User

Mark Willstatter

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:20 pm

Puget Sound

Re: Horseradish

by Mark Willstatter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:33 pm

You might want to check out this site, where the author is apparently growing in Illinois: http://tomclothier.hort.net/page22.html and seems to harvesting in fall. Maybe others here with actual experience will chime in but the website looks to answer a number of your questions, assuming what goes in Illinois might be applicable where you are.

The pot is a good idea because, as Karen says and you seem to be aware, it can be invasive. Be forewarned: I know from personal experience (this in California) that the root will find the hole in the bottom of the pot if there is one. I thought I'd been smart using the pot and when I removed it the horseradish would be gone. Wrong!