Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Harissa suggestions?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Harissa suggestions?

by Paul Winalski » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:36 pm

When I read Jenise's recipe for merguez sausage, I had to go to Google to find out what harissa was. When I read the recipe for it, I thought, "hey, this is a Thai curry paste with Moroccan flavors". So when I made a fresh batch of red and green Thai curry pastes the other day, I also made a batch of harissa.

So apart from a couple of tablespoons per two pounds of merguez sausage, what other dishes use harissa?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Harissa suggestions?

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:52 pm

Mmm, it's tasty paste. Smear on almost anything, I say.

Traditionally, it is stirred into soups, stews, and couscous.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Add to mayonnaise and use as a condiment with anything (I like it for french fry dipping).
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:53 pm

I keep a batch of green harissa and a batch of red harissa in the freezer almost at all times because they come in handy for just about anything you can think of.
Tonight I smeared some on steamed carrots with chopped cilantro, lemon juice and zest. I've used it on baked potatoes, pork tenderloin, lamb or chicken kabobs. Mix a bit in yogurt sour cream or mayo as a condiment for the grilled meat. Swirled in a hearty vegetable soup....too many uses to name
There are innumerable recipes for harissa and I prefer a more intensely spiced version. It is a very versatile
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Neil D

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:29 pm

by Neil D » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:15 am

I love harissa. Does anyone have a recipe for it? I tried ordering a spice mix online -- through Amazon -- and it was really disappointing. I have found a brand by the company "Cava" that is great, but not totally what I consider authentic (it's much more tomato based that what I'm used to). I'd like to try to make my own, and wonder if anyone has a tried and true recipe.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:08 am

There were a couple posted back on the old board. One is here, and another (from Chez Panisse) is here.

Haven't tried either of them myself - I tend to buy the stuff that comes in the toothpaste tubes.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:09 am

I just posted the harissa recipe that I used the other day to make a batch of merguez sausage.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:14 am

I suggest the cookbook Mourad: New Moroccan by Mourad Lahlou. He has an entire chapter on harissa with two recipes for wet harissa and one for a harissa powder. Within that chapter there are different recipes for how to use the various concoctions. I haven't tried making my own so far, but that will happen pretty soon.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon