Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Another fail safe carry-in dish

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Another fail safe carry-in dish

by Christina Georgina » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 pm

Considering options to bring to the annual Spaghetti on the Driveway party, the hostess has asked for my Italian Olive Salad. It is always a hit and people find many ways to eat it - as is with a fork or spoon; as a spread for crostini or with the ubiquitous corn chips that someone always brings. I am somewhat embarrassed by it but the sum is definitely greater than the parts and it is a classic dish on an antipasto table.

1 cup pimento stuffed olives; halved or sliced depending on size. Drained
1 cup celery, diced to about same size or slightly larger than the olives
2T good olive oil
1T good red wine vinegar
1/2 T hot red pepper flakes
2t finely minced garlic
1t dried Italian oregano

Adjust seasonings to taste and let sit for at least one hour in the fridge. My mother always said to add "whatever you have on hand....other types of pitted olives, quartered artichoke hearts, small cocktail olives..."Makes great use of the odds and ends of those jars on the fridge door.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Another fail safe carry-in dish

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:59 am

Christina Georgina wrote:"Makes great use of the odds and ends of those jars on the fridge door."

I like your Mom already. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:56 pm

Christina, I've long been a fan of the commercially available pickled 'gardineria' mix and in recent years have taken to making my own version of that with fresh, raw ingredients resulting in something pretty darned close to what you describe here--just chunkier. I've never considered making it something one could spread on bread, so there's a new thought.

The other ingredients I add will vary (though they tend to mirror the stuff in the jars, so cauliflower and carrots are typical), but coincidentially the two anchors that are ALWAYS in the mix are celery and olives. To make it luxurious I sometimes add large boiled shrimp. It's always popular either way--cold, healthy, and guilt-free.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:35 pm

Yes, I was going to do a separate post with the pickled shrimp. There is something about pickled dishes that makes them irresistible when the balance is right and it is not always easy to do for someone who likes to try different vinegars.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Christina, I've long been a fan of the commercially available pickled 'gardineria' mix and in recent years have taken to making my own version of that with fresh, raw ingredients resulting in something pretty darned close to what you describe here--just chunkier. I've never considered making it something one could spread on bread, so there's a new thought.

The other ingredients I add will vary (though they tend to mirror the stuff in the jars, so cauliflower and carrots are typical), but coincidentially the two anchors that are ALWAYS in the mix are celery and olives. To make it luxurious I sometimes add large boiled shrimp. It's always popular either way--cold, healthy, and guilt-free.

I recall that you and I share a love for this concoction and both commented that it is our "go to" snack item when we get hungry at the wrong times. Have you a written or memorized recipe you would care to share? I always have this in the fridge and it keeps for a very long time. I love the shrimp idea.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:56 am

Karen, no I don't have a recipe. But it's like Christina's: oil, vinegar, salt, oregano, garlic for the seasoning, all of which of course is shaded by the flavor of the vegetables and which requires frequent re-seasoning. Fairly standard vegetable components: olives, celery, cauliflower, carrots and jalapeno peppers. Sometimes I'll omit the cauliflower, oregano and jalapenos, and will use tarragon instead and add shrimp, black olives, orange bell pepper strips and maybe some seared lemon slices (the colors are fabulous) and jarred pepperoncini. A tip: I'll make the oil/vinegar/oregano/garlic mixture first and marinate the olives in that for awhile before adding the other ingredients. Giving them the extra intense garlic jolt adds extra excitement to the whole mix later. A big pile of that is a great summer meal or healthy pre-dinner appetizer platter that's easy and welcome for guests. Basically, you can't screw up! But you know that.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:44 pm

Jenise, thanks, it sounds like fun to make!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:14 pm

This conversation has convinced me to add this to my July 4th repertoire. Will need defense from high fat/carb items, and besides: I love it!