Able to Speak / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Able to Speak / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:10 am

b"sd
What we want to say, what we end up saying and its concluding effect on those who hear it; can at times each be of great variance.
Words well chosen will thus be most effective. A parrot can mimic; a monkey can immitate.
But man has the power of choice.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Able to Speak / WeeksEnd wine

Postby lewis.pasco » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Gamla Brut at a wedding yesterday afternoon. From the Hakerem blog I found a link to an Italian wine writer's impression of this Brut, and rather than re-write his detailed review, I'll post a quote and give you a link:

I must confess I wasn’t excited by this Brut’s personality. It’s very much influenced by a refinement on yeasts which is probably too short, not long enough to develop a sufficient complexity.

Link to the full article by Fanco Ziliani, an experienced Italian wine writer:

http://webflakes.com/wine/a-thousand-bu ... gn=hakerem
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:56 pm

I think I might have translated his TN a bit differently, since what he's clearly saying is that the Brut isn't enough influenced by its ageing on the lies in bottles, probably because it didn't have enough time."
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Z Spigelman » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi Harry.
3 great bottles this Shabbat.
Friday night - Midbar Viognier 2010 and Bravdo Coupage 2009.
Shabbat lunch - Bravdo Rose 2012.
Shavua Tov.
Zvi
Z Spigelman
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Harry, shavua tov all!

Friday night:

GHW, Hermon Red 2012: Luckily for the members of this forum a certain smiley that's available on facebook isn't here...

Tishbi, Viognier Blanc 2011: Nice as usual, was served a bit too warm thus the sweetness was a bit proeminent.

Carmel, Limited Edition 2007: One of my favourite wines and what a beautiful wine indeed. The Limited Edition is, IMHO, consistently the most Bordeaux of all Israeli wines including the Petit and Grand Vin du Castel. A classic blend of all 5 red Bordeaux varieties with 57% Cabernet Sauvignon, 31% Petit Verdot, 5% Merlot, 5% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc aged 15 months in french oak barrels. Dark, almost impenetrable garnet toward purple with on the nose crushed ripe forest fruits, tobacco, loamy dirt, toasted oak and light yet noticeable touches of Brett. Full-bodied with on the palate layers of complex flavors among which forest berries, wet dirt, earthy minerals, tobacco, black pepper, with notes of vanilla complemented by dark chocolate and silky tannins that linger on the long and mouth-filling finish. I'd have opened a second and perhaps even a third bottle if I could. Will stick around for another 4-5 years, maybe more.

Shabbat lunch:

Herzog, Special Reserve Late Harvest Chenin Blanc 2007: Still kicking since last week and delicious with terrine de foie gras aux morilles (goose liver pâté with morels).

Covenant, Landsman, Pinot Noir 2011: Deep cherry red in color with scents of fresh roses, ripe cherries and oak. Medium, perhaps medium to full-bodied with on the palate cherries, cranberries, rose water, light notes of toasty oak and warm spices with nice acidity but with barely noticeable tannins and a moderately long finish. Quite a nice and true Pinot, I decanted it for an hour. Well done!

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Steven B » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Hi Harry,

2010 Psagot Edom. This was really good and had a nice long finish.

Shavua Tov
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:27 am

2010 Psagot Cabernet Franc. Delicious on all accounts.
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:32 am

2008 Clos de la Niverdiere Chinon (Loire, 100% cabernet franc). Good complex fruit but a bit thinner body than I had expected; finishes a bit acidic.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Jon J » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:10 am

Friday Night - Kadesh Barnea Cabernet Sauvignon 2010
Shabbat Lunch - Gaili Rose 2012
Jon J
Wine geek

Postby Mark Lieser » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:24 am

Fifty percent "success" rate this Shabbat:

The (very) good:
Bravdo Merlot 2010
Ella Valley Vineyards Cabernet Franc 2008

The Not So Good:
Psagot Edom 2010 - I suspect this was a function of this particular bottle as I loved this when tasted (and purchased) at the vineyard a few months back, and in light of Steven B's favorable post just above. Hopefully my other bottles of this don't disappoint, as well.

Tishbi Muscat Dessert Wine 2007 - I really don't like sweet dessert wines in general (with the exception of Tzora's Or), but this was a gift, and I figured I'd give it a shot. Big mistake. Really cloyingly sweet with an unpleasant prune taste on the finish.

Shavua tov.

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby Gedalya P » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:15 am

We tasted the always popular Harmony 2009 and a brand new Metzuda Semillon Sauvignon Blanc 2011. The Harmony seems to have started out as an experiment with 4 wines called Blend T that Daniel Rogoff loved. The released version is a blend of Sirah and Sangiovese. It is generous and rich and delightful to drink.
The Reserve level of Tzuba is called Metzuda. Since Tzuba sells grapes to wineries such as Castel and Har Odem, their Reserve wines have always been hidden gems. This new wine is a White Blend of Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc. Semillon brings in new tropical fruit flavors, and the Sauvignon Blanc adds the crispness and sense of terroir (soil) to the mix. I enjoyed it.
From Cellar 18 in Ramat Beit Shemesh
Gedalya P
Wine geek

Postby Pinchas L » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:21 am

Hi Harry,

Asif Avant Garde 2009 - Oryah blended equal parts of Gewurztraminer and Sauvingon Blanc, each 30%, with 21% Chardonnay, 12% Viognier, and 7% Semillon. The fun thing about this wine, is that almost every time I have it different components are taking the lead. Now, it is the Gewurtz and Sauvingon Blanc that are driving the nose and the palate. The nose is spicy with added menthol, and the palate has orange marmalade with a kick of acidity. 13.5% AbV. B/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir California Soliel Vineyard North Block 2005 - The wine is browning, and showing an aged profile, that I didn't like nor did I expect that at this stage. Of the many disappointing reserve Pinot Noir Hagafen has released this is one of the most disappointing. 13.5% AbV C-/*/N

Best,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Last edited by Pinchas L on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby gaston k » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:28 pm

Fri night - Landsman PN 2011 - last bottle, but a winner
Sat lunch - one glass of Segal CS 2010 pleasant and a hearty goblet of Saison Dupont farmhouse ale. Crisp and refreshing.
gaston k
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:56 pm

2009 Ella Valley Cabernet Franc - Solid but seemed not to hold over the couple days as well as the last one.
2012 Hermon Blend - Nice Kiddush Dry with a little flavor. Cute
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi; had brought back a bottle of tulip cab and recvd a negative opinion on the forum so decided to open it.perhaps one can call it one dimensional .also last btl of casa coura 07, it was fine. H
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Sam M » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 am

2007 galil mountain yiron. Drinking very well. We enjoyed every drop.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac C » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Yarden Cabernet 2003 - excellent
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:12 pm

I had some pretty cool wines this week, many of which were brought over and shared by Gary L.
L’Exceptionnel de Paul Buisse, Chinon, 1999 - "real' Cabernet Franc and, given my love for the grape, a real treat. While the wine poured brick colored it turned out to be quite alive (albeit on the south side of its peak) and actually opened up nicely throughout the meal.
City Winery, Obsidian Ridge, Cabernet Sauvignon, 2008
Elvi, Petit Verdot, 2008
Golan Heights Winery, Yarden, Botrytis, 2004
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:55 am

First time I have heard about a kosher Chinon. Do you know whether there any more recent vintages available?
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:38 pm

Sorry for stopping by so late. End of quarter is always tough.

2010 GMW Alon. Pretty good for ~15 USD. It seemed a bit hot which is probably due to the 15.5% abv...
2011 Dalton Meron Single Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Was very nice but i would have liked a fuller body. Is there hope for it to develop fuller in the coming years?
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:51 pm

Yoel - not sure of its history but I am almost certain it was a one-off thing that was never imported into the US
Sign up for my weekly newsletter on wines, wineries & other oenophilic goodies at http://www.yossiescorkboard.com
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby David Raccah » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 am

WHAT! There has been kosher Chinon in the early 2000 here in San Jose - so trust me there has been Chinon, not great not bad - just average. I would not look for it or any other now that I have Benyo and some Israeli options
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Yossie Horwitz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:46 am

I'm talking about that particular bottle/winery
Yossie Horwitz
Wine guru

Postby Elie Poltorak » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:40 pm

'11 Shirah Coalition: B++/** I have to say I was disappointed with this wine, as the '10 Coalition is one of my favorites ever. On first attack, the Zinfandel dominates. With a bit of time, the other varietals start coming through and add complexity. The wine needs TONS of time. Next bottle I open I will decant for several hours before approaching.

'05 California Classic Cellars Cab/Syrah blend: B+ to A-/***++ Really nice wine at an incredible price. I wish I could get more. Thanks Gabriel Geller for shlepping this from Cali. Opens with the Cab dominating with typical varietal notes, including black fruit and lots of graphite, also some surprising green bell pepper, smoke on the finish. With some air time, the syrah starts coming though with red fruit, herbs, animal, and a hint of tart blueberry. Don't let this wine sit too long after opening as the wine in my glass died after a few minutes. I rushed to finish the bottle before it could suffer the same fate :lol: This is the best $10 bottle of wine I've ever had a by a long shot! Wish I could get more.

'11 Landsman Zinfandel: A-/** Luscious wine with nice sweet fruit and delicious blue notes.

'09 Alexander Reserve Cabernet Franc: B+/* Like most Alexander wines, it was way overoaked and a bit overripe, but I nevertheless enjoyed the strong green herbs coming through.

'08 Mas Noir Grès de Montpellier - Languedoc: B+/** Although Mevushal, this wine is showing well despite its age. A bit of oxidation on the nose that blows over. Great wet earth and garrigue. Very old world wine.

'10 Har Bracha Highlander Merlot: B+ to A-/** After reading Dave's reviews, I've been looking forward to tasting this wine. Their CS is undrinkable so I never would've even tried it if not for Dave's raving. I'm happy to report that it's absolutely delicious! A deep royal purple, awesome extraction, a hint of sweetness but not too much, tons of purple plums and red berries. Seriously sexy wine. Unfortunately, it had one major flaw, which prevents it from getting a straight A- or maybe even A- to A: in keeping with current fashions, the wine seems to be unfined and unfiltered, leaving a ton of particles floating around, clouding up the wine and clogging your taste buds. That really mars what would otherwise be a spectacular wine.
Elie Poltorak
Ultra geek

Next

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum