The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mt First 2009 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Mt First 2009 Bordeaux

by Jim Grow » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:57 pm

I opened the first bottle of a case of 2009 Bard-Haut St. Emilion Bordeaux this evening with London broil and was impressed. Very dark purple in color, the nose reminded me of a good Wa. State Bordeaux blend, kinda lean and muted and nice, but the flavors after 5 hrs. of decant were more like a Cal. Cab. There was some decent cassis flavors but the tannins were still a little tough on the finish. The tannins did smooth out over time but I'll try to keep my hands off of the rest until 2015 by putting them in my off-site storage 20 miles away! (abv of 14.6) Given past preformance this wine has a huge upside potential.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Mt First 2009 Bordeaux

by Tim York » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 am

I can't help wondering why you bother with a St.Émilion which smells as if from Washington state and tastes like a Cali Cab when, on your side of the Altantic, the real thing is so readily available :wink: .
Tim York
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Mt First 2009 Bordeaux

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:52 am

It seems like the Right Bank is devolving rapidly into international style wines, doesn't it. I now avoid the "lesser" right bank Bordeaux because they taste like California Fruit Bombs. This is based on my limited experience, of course, and is a generalization! :? :wink:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach