The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lagier Meredith, Trousseau, Gigondas

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Lagier Meredith, Trousseau, Gigondas

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:53 am

2011 Arnot Roberts Trousseau, Lake County. This is a new one for me (I think Tom had tried this). It was ok. Almost a rose in color. Light pinkish red color. Red cherry, a hint of herbal notes. A pleasant summer sipper, but nothing too profound or even interesting. Still...if it was cheaper and more available I can see this wine for a summer afternoon sitting by the pool (only sitting...I can't swim a stroke LOL)

2008 Lagier Meredith Mount Veeder Syrah. In honor of dragging my middle-aged weekend warrior butt up the steep side of Mount Veeder Road (12% grade in the blazing sun!)! Mount Veeder is so beautiful! This was, on the other hand, a more interesting wine. Sampled with dry rub smoked ribs, which it nicely complemented. The Syrah started out a little discombobulated, with piercing acidity, blazing blackberry fruit, and evident heat on the finish. After a short period open, a transformation occurred. All the edges smoothed out nicely, with the acidity remaining in place to cut nicely through the richness of the meat. The blackberry fruit was definitely still there, but the gameyness of the Syrah became much more apparant. A hint...just a hint...of funkyness added even more interest to the wine. Very nice wine, and I liked the owners when I met them one evening in downtown Napa!

Also...for contrast, we tried the 2007 Saint Gayan Gigondas. To me, this rather hot (15%!) Rhone blend could have easily been from Paso Robles. My friend, who enjoys Paso reds, liked this quite a bit. Plum, a bit of earth, big, rich chewy dark cherry-strawberry fruit. A little anonymous and New World for me. :? Nice contrast...the Napa wine was more "old world" to me!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: WTN: Lagier Meredith, Trousseau, Gigondas

by Jon Peterson » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Brian - Regarding the 2008 Lagier Meredith Mount Veeder Syrah, how long was the "After a short period open" and did you decant?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Brian - Regarding the 2008 Lagier Meredith Mount Veeder Syrah, how long was the "After a short period open" and did you decant?

We did not decant (highly recommended). I would say it blossomed nicely after a half hour or so and only got better during the dinner
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:40 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:2011 Arnot Roberts Trousseau, Lake County. This is a new one for me (I think Tom had tried this). It was ok. Almost a rose in color. Light pinkish red color. Red cherry, a hint of herbal notes. A pleasant summer sipper, but nothing too profound or even interesting. Still...if it was cheaper and more available I can see this wine for a summer afternoon sitting by the pool (only sitting...I can't swim a stroke LOL)

2008 Lagier Meredith Mount Veeder Syrah. In honor of dragging my middle-aged weekend warrior butt up the steep side of Mount Veeder Road (12% grade in the blazing sun!)! Mount Veeder is so beautiful! This was, on the other hand, a more interesting wine. Sampled with dry rub smoked ribs, which it nicely complemented. The Syrah started out a little discombobulated, with piercing acidity, blazing blackberry fruit, and evident heat on the finish. After a short period open, a transformation occurred. All the edges smoothed out nicely, with the acidity remaining in place to cut nicely through the richness of the meat. The blackberry fruit was definitely still there, but the gameyness of the Syrah became much more apparant. A hint...just a hint...of funkyness added even more interest to the wine. Very nice wine, and I liked the owners when I met them one evening in downtown Napa!

Also...for contrast, we tried the 2007 Saint Gayan Gigondas. To me, this rather hot (15%!) Rhone blend could have easily been from Paso Robles. My friend, who enjoys Paso reds, liked this quite a bit. Plum, a bit of earth, big, rich chewy dark cherry-strawberry fruit. A little anonymous and New World for me. :? Nice contrast...the Napa wine was more "old world" to me!

If you get a chance to try anything else from Arnot Roberts I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised. Chard, cab, syrah, really great, all old style CA.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm

2007 Rhones tend toward bigness; I'm definitely not backfilling here.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:45 pm

Mark S wrote:2007 Rhones tend toward bigness; I'm definitely not backfilling here.

I agree. Definitely preferred the Syrah! 15% abv....it didn't taste "hot" just "jammy"

I had a bottle of 2010 Sonoma Coast Syrah from Arnot-Roberts, and it may rank up there on my top ten list for domestic syrah...even as youthful as it was. I like my Syrahs "racy", so...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 pm

The acid levels in the Arnot-Roberts syrahs cause a bit of controversy elsewhere on the wine web, but I just love the wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I liked the A-R Trousseau more than Brian
good notes
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:02 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The acid levels in the Arnot-Roberts syrahs cause a bit of controversy elsewhere on the wine web, but I just love the wines.

If a wine will not dissolve a rusty nail, I won't drink it! :lol:
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:07 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:The acid levels in the Arnot-Roberts syrahs cause a bit of controversy elsewhere on the wine web, but I just love the wines.

I really like them also, tasted my first one blind, didn't have a clue that it was CA because what I perceived as balance. Weight on tongue definetly just didn't seem CA. I also liked the Trousseau more than Brian.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:03 pm

Needless to say, I also love the Arnot-Roberts lineup and their Syrahs in particular.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:15 am

Lou Kessler wrote:

I really like them also, tasted my first one blind, didn't have a clue that it was CA because what I perceived as balance. Weight on tongue definetly just didn't seem CA. I also liked the Trousseau more than Brian.

Have you tried any of the Rancho Bodega wines, Lou? Adertised as coldest vineyard in the State :shock: Very, very racy and elegant.

http://www.bodegarancho.com/wines
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Lou Kessler wrote:

Have you tried any of the Rancho Bodega wines, Lou? Adertised as coldest vineyard in the State :shock: Very, very racy and elegant.

http://www.bodegarancho.com/wines

Not yet, will have to give them a try when the opportunity comes along.