The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Outstanding QPR Super Tuscan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

WTN: Outstanding QPR Super Tuscan

by Ryan M » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:52 pm

From an Italian dinner with friends last weekend. I'm extremely enthusiastic about this super Tuscan - I'll let my notes do the talking.

Fattoria Viticcio, Bere, Toscana 2008
50% Sangiovese, 25% each of Cab Sauv and Merlot. Just a bit closed at first. On the nose and palate, a personality of black cherry, damson, prominent herbs, orange rind, a hint of plum tomato, violets, and dark chocolate. Dark but fresh, aromatic and attractive (which sums up the wines of this vintage nicely); full bodied, with perfect acid balance. This is from Chianti, and has the personality of a Chianti, but perfectly enhanced by the Cab and Merlot, rather than masked by them. A remarkable wine, and possibly my favorite super Tuscan to date stylistically. With the balance of an excellent Chianti and the structure contributed by the Cab, this will age gracefully for up to another 10 years. What's more, this is possible the most outstanding value I've encountered in Tuscany, at just $15 a bottle. 3 Stars [6/15/13]

Erath, Pinot Noir, Oregon 2009
Smells like a Nuits, with leather, cloves, and matchstick. On palate, the same personality as the nose, with black cherry and blackberry. Very fine, substantial yet attractive, though it is marred a little bit the alcohol showing through quite noticeably. Still, quite a good wine. 2.5 stars [6/15/13]
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: Outstanding QPR Super Tuscan

by Brian Gilp » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:00 pm

I have really liked the Erath as a QPR in some vintages and not so much in others. Don't have notes but recall I ran through half a case one vintage and one bottle the next as it was so different.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: Outstanding QPR Super Tuscan

by Ryan M » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Brian Gilp wrote:I have really liked the Erath as a QPR in some vintages and not so much in others. Don't have notes but recall I ran through half a case one vintage and one bottle the next as it was so different.

This is actually the first time I've had anything from this winery; it's good enough to make me curious what they might be capable of, though I'd say $20 is at the high end of fairly priced. Based on this, if you could get it for around $15 in a strong vintage, then yeah, I can see it being a very good value.

I like OR wines, but to be honest, I feel like its one of the lower QPR regions out there, and so I don't get around to drinking them very often.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)