The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: All Over The Place (recent stuff)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: All Over The Place (recent stuff)

by Jenise » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:51 pm

2010 Antica (Antinori) Chardonnay[/url] - USA, California, Napa Valley (6/20/2013)
Lightly oaked, crisp and balanced. Sophisticated in a way that's more Europe than California. Excellent. (91 pts.)

2009 Carlton Hill Pinot Noir[/url] - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (6/20/2013)
Slightly extra-sweet nose and palate, alc seems high. Not great, just 'fair'. Wouldn't buy.

2010 Pithon-Paillé Anjou Mozaïk[/url] - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou (6/20/2013)
Green and yellow apple at the base, but beehive and white pepper give this chenin some serious attitude. Excellent.

2011 Syncline Grenache-Carignan - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (6/20/2013)
Strawberry notes dominate but gain complexity with a sweet-earthy raw carrot flavor and a bit of caraway seed. Pleasantly delicious now but expect flavors to deepen with bottle age.

2002 Osoyoos Larose Le Grand Vin - Canada, British Columbia, Okanagan Valley, Okanagan Valley VQA (6/19/2013)
Needs about an hour of decanting. Opaque, almost black in color. Green herbs and baked clay on the nose with charred savory elements on the palate so austerely dry one dare not call them fruit. Clunky and inelegant in a way more time won't fix. Should hold here for another year or two but don't expect fireworks. (85 pts.)

2011 Azienda Agricola Bruna Riviera Ligure di Ponente Le Russeghine - Italy, Liguria, Riviera Ligure di Ponente (6/19/2013)
Gabe's. Odd medicinal nose but interesting on the palate, almost like a Savoie jacquare macerated with kala jeera seeds. Unlike anything I've ever had. True geek juice: didn't like it at first but have a feeling that once I adapted to the flavors, I'd love it.

2010 Market Vineyards Liquidity Columbia Valley - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (6/15/2013)
Surprisingly intense and focussed with greater body and concentration than one usually finds in a $20 Washington white. This is SERIOUS stuff. The viognier half of the blend (it's a 50/50, with roussanne) carries the entry with the highly perfumed nose of gardenias and old ladies' handkerchiefs, segueing into lemon and white nectarine notes with a long, gingery finish. Oily mouthfeel with the acidity and minerality to carry it all, like a great Condrieu. Impressive. (91 pts.)

2011 Syncline Subduction White - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (6/15/2013)
One of the most delightful WA whites I've had in awhile. Full-flavored with racy acidity, the 40% viognier's apparent but lifted by the lighter, lemony 40% roussanne and 20% gruner veltliner. Great mouthfeel--terrific minerality and only a light touch with the oak keep it stylishly clean. Sadly, was told today that the Subduction label is being discontinued (there's also a red). (91 pts.)

2011 Gård Vintners Freyja White Wine Lawrence Vineyards - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (6/15/2013)
Crisp and refreshing, but light (dilute) and rather nondescript for a 49% viognier blend (with roussanne and 15% PG). It was reccomended to me for an upcoming tasting in which I need a pair of Viognier-based blends. It's a NO--the viognier's undetectable, I'd have guessed this to be 80% or so pinot grigio.

2010 Domaine Fontaine-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (6/14/2013)
Opened on the 14th and found it a bit tight on the midpalate through a short first glass. Suspecting there was more, we recorked it and drank it two days later. Here, finally, was the intense burgundy experienced we hoped for with outstanding complex fruit and minerality. The oak is toastier than I care for and lends a smokey quality to the wine, but I have to admit it integrated beautifully. (92 pts.)

1986 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (6/14/2013)
Sometimes a great bottle comes; this wasn't one of them. Not a great cork though no seepage, and decanted two hours. But in the end the wine was merely a decent old Bordeaux and failed to show any of the greatness I know this wine can have. (87 pts.)

2009 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Les Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru (6/13/2013)
Not happy. After a four hour decant, heavy idodine notes poisoned the finish on rather extracted fruit. (82 pts.)

2009 Reynvaan Family Vineyards Syrah In the Rocks - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Walla Walla Valley (6/11/2013)
Opened a bottle to show John and Annabelle what Reynvaan can do. Made some fans! Raspberry, olive, tar, roasted meat and funk--all that old world stuff was there, and it's as exciting a young bottle of WA syrah as I've ever had. (93 pts.)

2010 Obscurity Cellars Carménère estate de cascabel vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Fair Play (6/8/2013)
This wonderful little winery keeps churning out excellent, balanced, varietally correct little wines from all sorts of grapes. (A friend is in their club.) This carmenere was especially delightful. Cabernet-ish in profile with extra chocolate tones and a faint green streak typical of the grape, it had plenty of fruit but almost a European sensibility about it, with dusty tannins and an unsweet, unalcoholic finish.

2009 Cascina Adelaide Nascetta La Pernici - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (6/7/2013)
@Coop's house. Ripe apple, lemon/lime Lifesaver, and white grapefruit on the palate. Pleasantly bitter note of grapefruit and petrol on the nose as well. A complex, delicious wine.

2003 Saint-Cosme Châteauneuf-du-Pape - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (6/5/2013)
Last bottle a few weeks ago went from too tannic to tolerate to oxidized prune juice over 24 hours and got fed to the camellias. A second bottle last night was better, and drinkable, with yummy and peppery maturing flavors. Tannins were quite persistent but not overwelming, especially with food. So, bottle variation noted. Will drink rather than wait on remaining bottles. (88 pts.)

2009 Castello di Ama Vigna Il Chiuso Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (6/5/2013)
Lighter bodied for Chianti but pleasingly so with lively mouthefeel and nice sangiovese notes of cherry pie, tobacco and sandalwood. Been on the hunt for a light but correct Chianti for everyday purposes, and this fills the bill perfectly. Only problem is, I bought the last bottle the store had. Drat. (88 pts.)

2003 Arcadian Syrah Evans Ranch - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (5/28/2013)
Shows well right now. Sweet and Californian without any of the Northern Rhone roasted meat/bacon/herb stuff that I've detected in other of Joe's (later) syrahs. Still good, but was hoping for a bit more animale character. (89 pts.)

2009 C.V.N.E. (Compañía Vinícola del Norte de España) Rioja Crianza - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja (5/24/2013)
Has lost its baby fat and now sports harmonious notes of dried apricots and spice on raspberry fruit. Young but developing, with hints of tea, orange rind and caramel to come. (88 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: All Over The Place (recent stuff)

by Sam Platt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Jenise wrote:2009 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Les Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru (6/13/2013)
Not happy. After a four hour decant, heavy idodine notes poisoned the finish on rather extracted fruit. (82 pts.)

Well sh*t! I have a couple of these in the cellar. Think I got a good deal on them through one of the on-line retail sites. Now I know why.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Sam Platt wrote:
Jenise wrote:2009 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru Les Vergelesses - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pernand-Vergelesses 1er Cru (6/13/2013)

Well sh*t! I have a couple of these in the cellar. Think I got a good deal on them through one of the on-line retail sites. Now I know why.

I was crushed; my first bottle, and I'd just bought three. Totally unlike any CdB I've ever had, and about the opposite of what I expected.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Jenise wrote:
Sam Platt wrote:

I was crushed; my first bottle, and I'd just bought three. Totally unlike any CdB I've ever had, and about the opposite of what I expected.

How are other similar 09s drinking? 'Awkward phase' would seem to be the logical default interpretation.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:37 pm

I've generally liked the Le Russeghine (it's PIgato, I think?)

Re the CdB Les Vergelesses, I agree this could be an awkward time.Did you try before the long decant?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Dale, yes Pigato. Really interesting stuff!

Re the CdB, I did taste it--that is, enough to decide yeah some decanting might help, though it was inadvertent that I left it that long.

Re Rahsaan's question about awkward stage--maybe? Swan's pinots often present as over-ripe when they're between good spots, so there's some precedent in my experience. Here are the other three tasting notes on Cellartracker (which is what encouraged me to go ahead and try a bottle, a seemingly good idea as our dinner guests had actually been with us in Beaune when we first discovered this winery):

4/2/2013 - europat55 wrote: 90 Points
Pernand-Vergelesses Rouges (Vin Vino Wine, Palo Alto, CA): Darker than the other Vergelesses in this tasting. Generous nose reminiscent of sweet Christmas candies. Fairly rich palate. My #2 in the tasting tonight.

3/29/2013 - wabi47 wrote: 87 Points
good plum with some earth and floral notes; the fruit is less high toned and this seems flabbier than i recall from last year; still a nice quaff.

3/16/2013 - docwines wrote: 88 Points
Very forward fruit, slightly unbalanced, and lacking good structure through the palate.
Did not improve through the two hours of decanting