The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Forlorn Hope and Hopper Creek

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Forlorn Hope and Hopper Creek

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:10 pm

2006 Hopper Creek Las Chamizale Cabernet Sauvignon. This was simply beautifully balanced, with earthy roundness, warm plum and cassis flavors, a core of green freshness. Delicious.

2006 Forlorn Hope Gascony Cadets (Solano County). Another warm and earthy wine, this Petit Verdot blottling definitely showed richer than the HC bottle, with more ripe fruit flavor. One of my favorite Solano County wines.

Also; Gracianna Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley) 2009. All about earthy, forest floor and mushroom flavors, with warm plum. Very soft and delicious. The 2010 was very different, with more evident acidity but also an almost sweet note to the fruit. I prefer the 2009. Utterly charming little tasting room with very friendly staff! Just up the road from Rochioli.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Forlorn Hope and Hopper Creek

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:51 am

Super Brian. Is there a lot of P Verdot in the area where you scout out?
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Forlorn Hope and Hopper Creek

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 am

Not really, Bob. I understand the grape is a challenge to grow and we of course see it mostly as a small percentage in blends. Bell Wine cellars, which shares the same private road as Hopper Creek, made an outstanding varietal bottling a few years back, as did Urbano Cellars in Oakland.

I had no idea Roger King was growing it in my county!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach