The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thackrey Orion + pinot discoveries - Helioterra & Division

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Thackrey Orion + pinot discoveries - Helioterra & Division

by Jason Hagen » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:25 pm

• 2004 Sean Thackrey Orion Rossi Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (6/10/2013)
    Dark and inky. Still looks fresh. When great, this wine can be one of my very favorites but they can be variable. This was my first time trying the 2004 and it was impressive. Seemingly just starting to change. Clean aromas of berries and briar. Nice spice as well. Slight smell of VA. This looks so dark but it is actually more red fruited. This nears the edge of ripeness but just stays in check. I think this is doing fine but seems like it is on the edge of evolving into a beauty or heading down a road of imbalance and VA. I am hopeful for the former and will let my other bottle sleep. (92 pts.)

The image is from the wrong vintage.

On To Some Discoveries
    This year I have made it to Oregon 3 times and they have been some of my favorite wine trips ever. Having the 2010 and 2011 vintages around didn't hurt. I tried wines from Helioterra and Division while visiting the SE Wine Collective but this was the first time I really got to "try" them. 2010 seems to be shaping up a wonderful vintage. I was gaga over the 11s when first tasted but now I am enjoying the slightly more flashy 2010s. I look forward seeing how Helioterra and Division did with the 11s. This Division was at 12.1%.

• 2010 Helioterra Pinot Noir Vintner's Select - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (6/5/2013)
    Tremendous aromatics. Clean fruit and earth all in one. The palate shows great red fruit, medium acid and light tannin. Lightly extracted and earthy. Not sure where the fruit is from. Seems to be getting into the zone right now. I am sure it will age fine but it seems with a little air, the drinking window is open so why not take it down. (92 pts.)

• 2010 Division Winemaking Company Pinot Noir Un - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (5/30/2013)
    Give me this any day of the week. Terrific aromatics. Great mouthfeel. Noticeable tannin and acid create wonderful balance in this anti-fruitbomb. Red fruits and spice are what I am loving about this wine. I like where this is at right now. Seems like it should be in the zone for a few years. Next onto the Deux. (92 pts.)

Cheers,

Jason

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Thackrey Orion + pinot discoveries - Helioterra & Division

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks for the info on a couple of producers I have not yet tried. Sound like they are worth the plunge.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:24 am

What Dave said. Also, what's behind the name 'Un'?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Jenise wrote:What Dave said. Also, what's behind the name 'Un'?

He has 2 pinots .. un and deux. 1 and 2. I think it is just a shout out to his french training. https://divisionwinemakingcompany.com/winesvines/wines/2010/division_pinot_noir_un.php

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:59 pm

Both of these wines are made in the same facility as where Vincent Fritzsche makes his wines. Not sure if he posts here, but I assume David is familiar with him from other boards.

I will try the 11s from these producers soon. I think that vintage might be more challenging and it will give me a better picture of these wineries.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Thackrey Orion + pinot discoveries - Helioterra & Divisi

by Jenise » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:36 am

Jason, just in case you sometimes think no one is ever listening, I purchased a pair of the Division VV 'Deux' last night at auction: your fault.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:47 am

I am into my second club shipment from Division. Loving the wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:12 am

Yes, you have posted on them since as well and also spoken highly of them. That figured into my decision as well.