Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So Jeff, cronuts....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

So Jeff, cronuts....

by Jenise » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:56 am

...what's going on there? Have you partaken?

Dominique Ansel's Cronuts are now being scalped on Craigslist...an ad from last Friday offering Cronut pick-up and delivery for $20 per pastry in Manhattan, $30 in Queens, and $40 in Brooklyn. The ad warns: "Of course the max you can have me deliver is 5 Cronuts as I will be eating one myself."
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

Re: So Jeff, cronuts....

by Frank Deis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 am

I thought Jeff was a "big mitten" guy and cronuts are a "big apple" thing. I must be confused. Are there 2 Jeffs?

Sometimes I don't pay enough attention. And no, I haven't made the effort to taste a cronut either but they are all over the airwaves here. And they probably are delicious. It would be really easy for me to obtain regular doughnuts of course, but that's a "forbidden zone" for me.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:41 am

At $20 each, the delivered cronuts would also fall in a forbidden zone for me.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:56 am

Frank Deis wrote:I thought Jeff was a "big mitten" guy and cronuts are a "big apple" thing. I must be confused. Are there 2 Jeffs? ...
I think she's referring to Jeff Grossman, who posts here in the Forum Kitchen quite frequently.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:27 am

The whole thing sounds crazy. I'm sure they're tasty enough but given the effort required to get them it hardly seems worth it. And when I see photos of people standing on the long lines I have to wonder what else they have going on in their lives. Unless at this point they're all 'flippers' selling them on at inflated prices.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:59 am

The name "Jeff" is not uncommon, even if each individual Jeff is a uniquely interesting paragon of human virtues.

Cronuts[tm] are a fad. I can wait for the mania to pass. I'm certainly not waiting on line for 2 hours to get one!

ETA: Due to the trademark, imitators are calling their pastry "doissants".
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:47 am

The herd mentality for sure....want one...make it, there are recipes on the NET. Can't figure out why people do that.

Reminds me of the Farmer's Market on Saturday. There is a lady who sells peaches, she is very particular, checks every peach she puts in your basket, even it you get a lug. People line up at her booth early and the line weaves annoyingly through the crowd. Just up and down from her booth are other peach growers who sell great peaches, have them already packed and ready to go. My market buddy's and I just laugh at the way people see a line and figure that is the best place to go. So they spend half and hour or more standing there in the hot sun looking miserable as that gal picks each peach up and places it in a box. I am in and out of the market in 20 minutes. I have a list of what I need, get there 15 minutes early, walk up and down both sides and pick my grower's for the morning shopping. When the opening horn blows, I know exactly where I am going to go. I buy the hard things first for the bottom of my basket and end up with berries on top. Then I have time to stand around and enjoy watching the shoppers, sipping my latte, and talking with others who do the same. If I fill my basket, Gene takes it to the car for me and I continue my quest. So much fun!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:48 am

This doesn't even sound edible to me. I like a croissant a couple times a year. Can't stand the smell of donuts for some reason. I can't believe people are even paying $5 for them, let alone $20/ea. Who are these nuts? Wonder how much they would pay for a dozen of my homemade shortbreads?! :shock:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:07 pm

For those who want a close look at one, I found this big picture: http://timenewsfeed.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/cronut2.jpg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:41 pm

An Albertson's (west coast chain) grocery store near where I lied in the 80's used to have croissants (made by their instore bakery, so hardly a great croissant, but definitely dinner roll sized and not sandwich sized as I believe most are today) that they'd drizzle with the same icing they' used on simple raised donuts. The combination, as introduced to me by a roommate, was absolutely divine. Incredibly light with a great shattering crunch to the exterior that no donut could match.

If cronuts get anywhere close, I get it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Jenise wrote:An Albertson's (west coast chain) grocery store near where I lied in the 80's used to have croissants (made by their instore bakery, so hardly a great croissant, but definitely dinner roll sized and not sandwich sized as I believe most are today) that they'd drizzle with the same icing they' used on simple raised donuts. The combination, as introduced to me by a roommate, was absolutely divine. Incredibly light with a great shattering crunch to the exterior that no donut could match.

If cronuts get anywhere close, I get it.

Years ago, Albertson's put a store in Redding. I went there once and it smelled so bad, I never went back. I asked around to see what others thought and they all hated the smell. Not sure what it was. They did have a following but left suddenly...good thing.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:09 pm

Jenise wrote:... near where I lied in the 80's ...

So did you only lied in that location, in the 80's? Or was that one of many locations?
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Sorry Jeff G., I had a feeling I was screwing up.

At any rate the guilty food I would really like to get my hands (teeth) on is something with a bit more of an enduring history.

The Canelé. I imagine this as being pretty exquisite, with a hard outer crust and a sweet somewhat gooey interior. And they have been around for a long time but they are difficult to make, you need special molds and really good technique so you only find them in fancy French places or high end tea rooms in NYC (or Paris). Six week fads don't generally grab me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canele
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:02 am

Frank Deis wrote:Sorry Jeff G., I had a feeling I was screwing up.

No harm done.

This time. 8)

The Canelé. ... in fancy French places or high end tea rooms in NYC (or Paris).

Try the ones made at Honore Artisan Bakery in Seattle.