The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: Lovely Chablis and Dão

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTNs: Lovely Chablis and Dão

by Saina » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:58 pm

2010 Domaine Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d'Ange - France, Burgundy, Chablis
This is a very pretty Chablis. It isn't the steeliest style and it does veer toward a style that emphasizes purity of fruit rather than one that glorifies in all the non-fruit and non-oak components that the best Chablis have. But I don't mind this style at all when done so well - especially because it certainly doesn't lack steel and minerality and such non-fruit goodness. A little bit woolly aromas on opening but it clears up with air and becomes rocky and with ripe but lean, yellow fruits. Crisp but fairly rich despite only 12,5% abv. Racy and crunchy finish despite the purity of fruit. The more I drink this the more I enjoy it; it's one of those wines that always pleases but where every new experience of it deepens one's enjoyment (I know now from experience that it's easy to go through a case of this in a year!). It still is a touch reductive and funky on opening so needs 2-2,5h decanting to get everything out of it. I guess I need to buy one more case since the first one didn't last long.

2009 Àlvaro Castro Dão Reserva - Portugal, Beiras, Dão
c.19€; 13% abv; from the Alfrocheiro, Touriga Nacional & Tinta Roriz varieties. A bit oaky; but once I learn to smell past that, this is nice! A meaty, lifted, herbaceous aroma; ripe but restrained (not overly fruity, not too alcoholic), delightfully high acidity for a warm year which makes the whole very moreish. Refreshing. I think I'll like this very much once the oak fades more into the background.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTNs: Lovely Chablis and Dão

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Thanks Otto. I have never heard of Pattes Loup.
Decisions are made by those who show up