The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent notes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: Recent notes

by Mark S » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:38 pm

Lorca, Petite Sirah, Napa Valley, 1999
Opened and cork pulled...as soon as I pop and pour, this let's you know it's from California: big oak and blueberries, plums into prunes. Still burly and like most petites, this will surely age on its frame. Packs a wallop, but simple. 14.4% B/B+

Paolo Bea, Bianco Umbria IGT, Santa Chiara, 2009
Concentrated pee color. Tannic skins and pips, slight bit of eucalyptus follows the apple-pear pomace and semi-rotten orange peel. Not much complexity here, but fun. B+

Chateau Grand Tayac, Margaux, 2008
Slightly thin and vegetal, with light blackcurrant leaf, medium acidity, soft, with very neutral flavors. Not much oak in evidence, but unfortunately, no fruit either. B-/B

Pesquera, Ribera del Duero, Tinto, 2001
Didn't go well with a Spanish chicken recipe I made. This is showing more brawn and New World muscle than an earlier bottle I drank. Aromatically quite closed. There's mulberry, dried blueberries, plums with a slightly saline ending note. Slight bit of volatility in here, it feels like the fruit is hitting the wood and structure here, becoming a stewy mess right now. 13.5%

Clos Roche Blanche, Tourraine, Sauvignon (blanc) no.2, 2011
Lemon-lime oil nose. A weird sauvignon blanc, not so distinctively varietal, but pleasant enough without the obvious character. Light lemon-lime, as if watered down. A slight stink-tone reminiscent of washed rind cheeses that stays with the wine through to the finish and lingers there. Also, some interesting moss and calcite notes. 12.5% B+

Nusserhof, vino rosso, 'Elda', 2009
A schiava, but unlike any I've had before. This one is fairly rich colored, almost gamay-like without the purple highlights (usually, schiava makes a light-rose colored wine, about as pale as poulsard). A musky, perfumed nose with spicy red fruits. Spiced cooked cherries, mulled in clove, fresh and lively with perky almost nail-biting acidity. Beaujolais in weight. Plenty of chalk on the finish. Tough on the palate for the first few days. Tasted 5 days later with the Spanish chicken, and it seemed to hit the spot better, perhaps due to the 90-degree day and perhaps having some of the acidity fade. 12.5% B/B+, later in the week a B+.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: Recent notes

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Mark: what is the Clos Roche selling for these days? and where did you source it from? Was a big fan of this wine back in the day and then my source dried up and I haven't seen it at retail locally in quite a few years. I used to buy it from Dana Decker and then he stopped carrying it.

thanks, Jon
Jon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Mark: what is the Clos Roche selling for these days? and where did you source it from? Was a big fan of this wine back in the day and then my source dried up and I haven't seen it at retail locally in quite a few years. I used to buy it from Dana Decker and then he stopped carrying it.

thanks, Jon

At Chambers St Wines, the #2 is around $20 and the #5 is around $25.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:44 pm

On the Grand Tayac-sounds like a good wine for Otto! No oak AND no fruit!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks, rahsaan..Looks like I'll be heading downtown on my next trip to the city
Jon
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:54 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Thanks, rahsaan..Looks like I'll be heading downtown on my next trip to the city

Jon, what Rahsaan said. Hey if you're going down to the City, maybe I could give you a shopping list?
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

by Jon Leifer » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:48 pm

not heading south anytime soon, Mark..will depend on when our daughter moves back to NYC..will also depend on whether I take the car into Manhattan or just use the subway..Will be in town in the Fall but will be flying on taht trip so any wine purchased on that trip will be shipped

What size shopping list did you have in mind?
Jon