The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Red Burgundies from Dujac, Leroy, Anne Gros

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rainer from CH

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:35 pm

WTN: Red Burgundies from Dujac, Leroy, Anne Gros

by Rainer from CH » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Notes from recent tastings with family and friends.

1996 Domaine Dujac Clos St. Denis Grand Cru
In the beginning showing notes of withered roses, blood and earth on the nose. After airing: "griottes" cherries, blood orange, hints of iron, fresh leather, limestone and earth. These impressions are confirmed on the palate. Beautiful, mature Burgundy with good drive and medium finish. Unfortunately, already marked by signs of age. :roll: This vintage has brought forth significantly better Burgundies, e.g. Bernard Dugat-Py Charmes-Chambertin. I'd drink this Dujac up. - My subjective rating: 91/100.

2001 Domaine Leroy Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Beaux Monts
Slightly over-ripe, sweet wild strawberry, with notes of damp forest floor, Indian spices, cinnamon and incense on the nose.
On the palate, red and blue berries, rosehips, beets, sesame, ginger, wood and smoke. Highly concentrated, rich tannins, highly aromatic acidity, mineral finish with a little bitterness. Improves with airing. Impressive richness. Nevertheless, to me, this wine is lacking the exhilarating lightness of the greatest Burgundies. At the beginning of its drinking period, should hold up well until 2025. - My subjective rating: 94/100.

2006 Domaine Anne Gros Clos Vougeot Le Grand Maupertui Grand Cru
Shows like a robust Grand Cru of Vosne-Romanée with a mighty structure. Great freshness and fruitiness. Electrifying acidity, as with truly great white wines. Its high concentration is demonstrated in its long finish and energetic aftertaste. :D Utterly convincing. Needs at least 10 years of patience. - My subjective rating: 94+/100.

Best regards,
Rainer