Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Blueberry Season

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Blueberry Season

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:10 pm

just picked a small hand full of blueberries from one of our 3 year old bushes. Since our bushes are no where near maturity to provide our needs, they will be supplemented with some berries from the local Upick farm. Last year his crop was a disaster due to a frost/freeze after bloom, but this year he is reporting a bumper crop. Time to make room in the downstairs freezer.
Life is good!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Blueberry Season

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:17 pm

I tried growing a blueberry plant once. The berries were very small and the plant did not like full afternoon sun in Redding. It burned to a crisp and we pulled it out. I'd like to put in another and find a spot for it to have morning sun but afternoon shade. I buy blueberries at the Farmer's Market in bulk and freeze lots of them. Gene loves blueberry pancakes, so I make them up in batches and freeze packages for him. I have used them in muffins. Not of big fan of them really, but know they are good for us, so I grab a handful now and then right out of the freezer. I also freeze cherries and all the other berries. It is nice to have them in the winter.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Karen-
BBs require extremely acidic soil, so I'd recommend a professional soil test before planting them. Fortunately, we have very acidic soil here in the Ohio Valley, but still need to amend the soil with sulphates to maintain that acidity. Also, avoid fertilizers that derive their nitrogen from nitrates. Urea is OK, but I've found blood meal works great and is readily available. This might sound like they are fussy plants, but just observe a few basics and they are relatively maintainance free in this area.
Mine are in full sun and they seem to love it. We regularly get 90+ temps, but maybe Redding is just too hot for the Northern highbush varieties we grow. I know in the deep south they grow a cultivar that is very heat tolerant, so they may be better suited for you...I'm sure the local extension service can point you in the right direction.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Redwinger wrote:Karen-
BBs require extremely acidic soil, so I'd recommend a professional soil test before planting them. Fortunately, we have very acidic soil here in the Ohio Valley, but still need to amend the soil with sulphates to maintain that acidity. Also, avoid fertilizers that derive their nitrogen from nitrates. Urea is OK, but I've found blood meal works great and is readily available. This might sound like they are fussy plants, but just observe a few basics and they are relatively maintainance free in this area.
Mine are in full sun and they seem to love it. We regularly get 90+ temps, but maybe Redding is just too hot for the Northern highbush varieties we grow. I know in the deep south they grow a cultivar that is very heat tolerant, so they may be better suited for you...I'm sure the local extension service can point you in the right direction.

We have very acidic soil, we live under oak trees...azaleas, dogwoods, rhododenrens love it here. My garden area is very hot with a lot of relective heat coming off a driveway, pea gravel, fences and house. Maybe it was just the wrong spot for it....not enough moving air, perhaps. I will try again.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:50 pm

We have 19 blueberry bushes planted in full sun - they are exposed to extreme temps between -10 to 110 degrees with our wild weather here and they absolutely thrive. We keep ours heavily mulched for good root insulation, and fertilize (spent coffee grounds mixed with compost are great) before bud break in the spring. Perhaps the variety you planted wasn't suited to your climate? Some blueberry types are definitely for more temperate areas. I would suggest checking to see what other gardeners in your area are having success with.

Currently our bushes are loaded with berries, but due to late cool and wet weather we have been having, everything is 2-3 weeks behind normal for us around here....so hoping for ripe blueberries in July.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:18 am

Wow! our season in Minnesota and Wisconsin is at the earliest in August.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 am

GeoCWeyer wrote:Wow! our season in Minnesota and Wisconsin is at the earliest in August.

Yup, just before the Labor Day Blizzard.
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Redwinger wrote:
GeoCWeyer wrote:Wow! our season in Minnesota and Wisconsin is at the earliest in August.

Yup, just before the Labor Day Blizzard.

When I lived in Northern MN an old fishing guide told me " Ah August, the 3 B's blueberries, bluegills and bullheads"
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain