The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Poll: What is your favorite red wine color?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What is your favorite red wine color?

Purple
No votes
Purple-red
20%
Brick
No votes
Ruby Red
60%
Ink
No votes
Other (Feel free to list your favorite hue that I might have missed)
20%

Total votes : 5
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Poll: What is your favorite red wine color?

by Jeff B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:16 am

Let's face it. We don't just drink red wines, we also admire their appearance in the glass. I thought it might be fun to take a survey to see what everyone's favorite shade of red is (when it comes to wine).

I'm partially color blind, so forgive me if my palate of choices is lacking.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Poll: What is your favorite red wine color?

by Howie Hart » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:33 am

Strange question. The hue of red wine changes over time, from purplish to brown. Also different varieties exhibit different hues, and the hue changes depending on the pH.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:30 am

I agree with Howie, Jeff. Meaning no disrespect, I think of wine as covering an almost infinite spectrum - not only among wines but over a single wine's lifetime and, moreover, within your glass as you look at it on the table, against a white background, against a light, and tilted so as to show the distinction between a dark center and a bright edge. This is part of the fun of wine, and I'm sorry, but I can't reduce it to one of five or six choices.

That said, though, in general I regard an inky or purple wine as likely Parkerized and spoofy, and prefer a lighter, more nuanced red, particularly as found in non-spoofed Burgundy. 8) Or, at the least, the textured dark-red-ruby-highlights of a Tuscan red or the dark-red-garnet-highlights of a good Bordeaux or unspoofy Cabernet/Bordeaux blend.

Is that nuanced enough for ya? :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I agree with Howie, Jeff. Meaning no disrespect, I think of wine as covering an almost infinite spectrum - not only among wines but over a single wine's lifetime and, moreover, within your glass as you look at it on the table, against a white background, against a light, and tilted so as to show the distinction between a dark center and a bright edge. This is part of the fun of wine, and I'm sorry, but I can't reduce it to one of five or six choices.

That said, though, in general I regard an inky or purple wine as likely Parkerized and spoofy, and prefer a lighter, more nuanced red, particularly as found in non-spoofed Burgundy. 8) Or, at the least, the textured dark-red-ruby-highlights of a Tuscan red or the dark-red-garnet-highlights of a good Bordeaux or unspoofy Cabernet/Bordeaux blend.

Is that nuanced enough for ya? :mrgreen:

That was very nuanced. Thank you for playing along. Your last paragraph was what I was looking for. :)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:14 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Strange question. The hue of red wine changes over time, from purplish to brown. Also different varieties exhibit different hues, and the hue changes depending on the pH.

I agree, I am starting to find these "what is your favorite blah blah" rather annoying.

Best Bob
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:18 pm

And for what it's worth, my expectations change dramatically depending on the wine. I don't want my poulsard to have the same color as my Nuits St. Georges, which should also be distinct from Cote Rotie, and so on.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:I agree, I am starting to find these "what is your favorite blah blah" rather annoying.

Bob, the nice thing about the forum software is that it is startlingly easy to avoid topics that annoy us. And it's a gift to be gracious enough to keep these decisions to ourselves. ;)
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:45 pm

I've nothing to add to what Howie, Robin and Rahsaan say.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Thanks anyways, everyone. I didn't mean to ask an annoying question. Silly me, I meant it to be fun.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Understood, Jeff. You're a good guy. I'd have to vote 'garnet' because it's the color my favorite Bordeauxs turn when they're nicely nuanced by time but still have traces of their primary fruit. I'd say that's at least a stage--one long one--before 'brick'.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm

I find the ruby red of many Pinot Noirs to be pretty yet, oddly, I'm not a fan of the body and tannic structure (Texturally, I'd much rather have one of those inky, chalky Cabernets). :)

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff B on Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Jeff: don't let the naysayers get to ya,,Ya got questions you want answers to, keep asking.
As for me, as my wife ..and daughters, will testify, my sense of color is terrible so I just go with the nose more often than the color tho I am probably not too big on brown..Color is not something I really focus on in red wines..I am not a big fan of dark white wines
Jon
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:Jeff: don't let the naysayers get to ya,,Ya got questions you want answers to, keep asking.
As for me, as my wife ..and daughters, will testify, my sense of color is terrible so I just go with the nose more often than the color tho I am probably not too big on brown..Color is not something I really focus on in red wines..I am not a big fan of dark white wines

Thanks Jon. Being part color-blind, my sense of color is spotty as well. I can tell the general shades of color (purple versus ruby red) but the gradual changes in hues can be difficult to discern.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:40 am

By ink I presume you mean very dark, but of course ink can be any colour.

For my personal notes I do sometimes describe wine of any colour as inky. I find it hard to describe, but I do this when it seems to have an element of blackness about them, however dark of light it really is. I wonder if it is perhaps a very fine suspended sediment. Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

I know that colour is supposed to be very important to the enjoyment of wine - for rosés it has been shown to be THE most important factor! But like some others here I really can't say what my favourite is. Indeed, I find it is only under very controlled conditions I KNOW what the colour is. All too often the restaurant is badly lit or there are no convenient white backgrounds.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:By ink I presume you mean very dark, but of course ink can be any colour.

For my personal notes I do sometimes describe wine of any colour as inky. I find it hard to describe, but I do this when it seems to have an element of blackness about them, however dark of light it really is. I wonder if it is perhaps a very fine suspended sediment. Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

I know that colour is supposed to be very important to the enjoyment of wine - for rosés it has been shown to be THE most important factor! But like some others here I really can't say what my favourite is. Indeed, I find it is only under very controlled conditions I KNOW what the colour is. All too often the restaurant is badly lit or there are no convenient white backgrounds.

Yes, I was meaning "inky" to be almost black. I admit my choices leave room for a lot of intermediate hues.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:56 pm

I tend to agree with Robin on this one. I avoid Parkerized hues, and prefer natural ones.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Ruby for me, as in a bright, ripe Pinot Noir, although perhaps a darker ruby than that which simply the word ruby implies.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:31 pm

I have nothing to add to what Howie and Bob said.