The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Good News! Beringer Private Reserve now in half bottles...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Good News! Beringer Private Reserve now in half bottles...

by Jeff B » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:24 pm

And only $700 or so for a case... :shock:
http://www.beringer.com/2003-Beringer-P ... lley-375ml

I love half bottles. And have always enjoyed the Private Reserve. These are perfect for sharing with a loved one when a full bottle is just too much.

Anyone else a fan of the Private Reserve? What's the best bottle you've ever had?

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: Good News! Beringer Private Reserve now in half bottles...

by Lou Kessler » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:55 pm

95 & 97. In fact I still have a few bottles of the 97 left to drink. :D Forgot the 2001 was delightful also.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 pm

Lou: I am a longtime fan of Beringr PR cab as well as a former stockholder in Beringer..I have had mixed results with the 97 PR..some bottles were magnificent, others disappointing..My favorties were from the early 90's ie, 91, 92
Jon
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:44 am

Jeff B wrote:I love half bottles. And have always enjoyed the Private Reserve. These are perfect for sharing with a loved one when a full bottle is just too much.

"when a full bottle is just too much"???

I am unfamiliar with this phenomenon (cue Samuel Johnson and Pepys rolling in their graves).

I never buy half bottles of red wine if I can avoid it as the ageing curve is shortened and the volume is too small to share with others.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:05 pm

Yowsa, $65 for a half! I can find 750s of things I like very much for that price. I have not had a Beringer PR cab since I think the 1998 which I got for a song. I liked them but price kept me away and obviously kept getting higher.
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:56 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:
Jeff B wrote:I love half bottles. And have always enjoyed the Private Reserve. These are perfect for sharing with a loved one when a full bottle is just too much.

"when a full bottle is just too much"???

I am unfamiliar with this phenomenon (cue Samuel Johnson and Pepys rolling in their graves).

I never buy half bottles of red wine if I can avoid it as the ageing curve is shortened and the volume is too small to share with others.

Seeing that it's just my love an I sharing an evening bottle, a half is more than enough for us. I like them. I have several half bottles of champagne as well. I actually wish more halves were available for the higher cuvees.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Advice - buy a half bottle of something and then keep the bottle so you can buy full bottles of good wine (longer lived and no surcharge for the different size) and just decant half into the small bottle, to be drunk the next day.