Kosher question

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, welcoming foodies to discuss the dining scenes in Israel and abroad, along with all things related to kosher food.

Kosher question

Postby Jon Peterson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I understand that there are consumables (i.e.: wine) that are both Kosher and/or Kosher for Passover. Are there also non-consumables, like furniture and wine coasters and virtually everything else, that are Kosher and/or Kosher for Passover?
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Re: Kosher question

Postby Gabriel Geller » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:I understand that there are consumables (i.e.: wine) that are both Kosher and/or Kosher for Passover. Are there also non-consumables, like furniture and wine coasters and virtually everything else, that are Kosher and/or Kosher for Passover?

Hi Jon,

I'm not sure if I understand your question well but if you're asking whether non-food/drink things such as furniture, fridges, sofas etc can be or not considered kosher for Passover then the answer is yes.

Before Passover we must clean our furniture and kitchen equipment to ensure it's cleared of "chametz", that is to say leavened foods such as bread, pasta, cookies etc. It is forbidden to possess and consume any sort of "chametz" food or beverages (whiskey, beer, grain vodka...) during the entire 8 days of Passover.

I hope I answered your question and that I did so clearly enough.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Sam M » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:42 pm

Jon,
Kosher only has to do with food. That's a long story.
Kosher for Passover guarantees that the food product has no trace of grains; barley, wheat, spelt, rye Because they are forbidden during Passover.
Furthermore, as Gabe said, during Passover we are not allowed to even own any of those grains, whether we intend to eat it or not. We must get rid of every speck. So only in that sense can a non consumable be unkosher during Passover.
Sam
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby Jon Peterson » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:33 am

Sam and Gabe - thank you both for your posts. You have indeed answered my question. BTW, I asked in light of the fact that I recently purchased a sterling silver wine coaster which the seller noted was Kosher for Passover. In my obviously limited experience, I had not known that condition to apply to anything other than food and wine. Thank you again.
I just wanted to inform you that I find you to be very attractive. Thank you and have a nice day.
Jon Peterson
The Court Winer

Postby Adam Peters » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Jon,

It is possible that non-consumables would need to be kosher for passover if you intend to cook on them or eat off them. Some goods, such as parchment paper or aluminum foil have coatings that may be derived from a forbidden product. These coatings could be transferred to the food. While many argue that these would not be considered "chametz", some are extremely strict, and avoid them anyway.

Adam
Adam Peters
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey Jon, silver cups, coasters, and the sort, have a strong historical custom - of being "boiled" before Passover. People take their silver items to the synagogue or the local jewish place and a week or two before Passover there is a communal pot that has boiling water in it that the rabbi or someone supervises. The silver is dipped in the boiling water and removed - and that is it.

That said, I have NEVER heard of anyone selling it as being kosher for passover! LOL! Such is the state of our Jewish brethren. Reminds me of glatt kosher licorice!
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Culinary Corner