The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New/Aromatic Whites...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New/Aromatic Whites...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:40 pm

We tasted tonight (5/29/13) Some More New Whites:
1. Harrington Fiano LunnaMattaVnyd/PasoRobles (13.5%) 2012: Med.light gold color; strong appley/apple
blossom/slight pineapple quite fragrant/floral/almost Viog-like some stony/earthy/mineral/pungent
very attractive/perfumed nose; rather tart lovely apple blossom/floral/pineapple/mango some waxy/
mineral/stony rather rich/lush very attractive high-toned flavor; very long/lingering pineapple/mango/
apple blossom/floral some stony/mineral tart/rich finish; almost Riesling-like in its aromatics w/ lots
of high-toned fruit & nice touch of stony/mineral; really lovely white. $25.00
pungent some tart/tangy little fruit rather strange flavor; long tangy/tart/grapefruity some waxy/resiny
bit mead/pungent/smokey/cidery finish w/ a noticible wet dog fur component way in the backtaste; doesn't
a lot of fruit, a bit pungent/resiny and somewhat on the bizarre side. $25.00
apple peel slight stony rather perfumed apple/pear/apple blossom finish; rather attractive and classic Fiano
nose but not much impact on the palate. $18.00 (WoP)
flavor; med.long tart/tangy/lemony/metallic/steely some stony/chalky very slight floral/carnations/mango/R-like
bit lean finish; lovely fragrant nose & classic stony/mineral on palate; very nice Fiano. $27.50 (KK)
3b. Coenobium Rusticum IGT: Lazio Vianco (45% Trebbiano/35% Malvasa/20% Verdicchio; #1553 of 3000; 12.00%)
MonasteroCistercensi S.O. Trappiste/Vitorchiano; NealRosenthal 2010
: Deep golden/bronze/browning some
muurky/cloudy color; quite phenolic/cidery slight smoked meats/smoked hot dogs bit fumey/volatile rather
earthy/dusty slight honeyed slight oxidized interesting/complex nose w/ no fruit; tart quite phenolic/cidery
bit oxidized earthy/smoked meats rather tannic/bitter slight orangey/honeyed flavor w/ no fruit; med.long
tangy quite quite phenolic/cidery/bitter rather earthy/dusty/smoked meats slight oxidized finish; pretty classic
orange wine taken to the max. $28.00 (WoP)
intense muscatty/hair-oil off-dry tart but balanced finish that goes on & on; one of the best Muscats from
Calif I've had...definitely cougar juice; very good balance of acid and sugar; not the bitterness you get
in many Alsatian Muscats; reminds me more of Valle d'Aosta Chambave Muscat; lovely drinking. $25.00
honeyed/orangey/peachy very ripe bit botrytis/peachy/overripe slight oxidized/phenolic complex nose;
soft slight oxidized/honeyed/orangey/resined some botrytis/honeyed totally dry bit earthy flavor; long
very slight oxidized/Jura-like/honeyed/resiny/orangey slight botrytis/honey finish; not an orange wine
that I can tell because of little phenolic character; seems made of overripe or botrytis grapes; a very
weird duck of a wine but actually rather interesting. $18.00 (DiVino)
flavor; very long slight weak/watery rather floral/peach blossom/mango some mineral/stony finish; quite
an attractive perfumed white that resembles a Langhe Riesling. $29.00 (Arg)
fairly rich/powerful floral/pear/pear blossom finish; a beautiful very perfumed/aromatic Albarino. $26.00
bit stony/mineral fairly lush/rich finish; a bit less intense fragrance and a bit more stone-fruit/complex;
seems refreshed w/ CO2. $19.00
floral/Albarino light vanilla/oak finish; a pleasant enough Albarino but not deliver that much on the
palate; fairly priced at $18.00 (WoP)
tangy/grapefruity flavor; very long some metallic/steely/flinty/mineral strong Vermentino/floral/mango
finish; a beautiful expression of Vermentino; very fairly priced at $26.00
med.long some waxy/Semillon rather earthy/dusty tart/lean/pinched finish; a rather quiet/low-key interesting
white a bit like the Martini Semillons of old; not a lot of flavor on the palate. $35.00
aromatic/perfumed very spicy/exotic nose some like an AltoAdige R/GWT blend than Alsace; fairly tart big/rich/
lush intense floral/GWT/lychee/hair-oil textured/glycerined wonderfully aromatic flavor; very long/lingering
spicy/GWT/lychee/floral/mango/spicy tart rich/lush tart/balanced light earthy/dusty finish; powerful aromatics
that speaks mostly of GWT w/ a wonderful balance of richness & acidity on the palate; amazing white much like
an AltoAdige GWT (home of the world's greatest GWT's), but seems in the wrong-shaped btl. $34.00
rather tannic/astringent flavor; med.long some phenolic/cider/mead/astringent/tannic very slight herbal/SB
finish; fairly strong phenolic character; some like Cowan Isa but less fruit & more phenolic; interesting
but not particularly attractive SB. $30.00
________________________________________________________________________________
And the BloodyPulpit:
1. ManzoniBianco: There were not a lot of grape hybridizers in Italy. LuigiManzoni developed a number of hybrids
in the early 1930's: ManzoniBianco, ManconiMoscato, ManzoniRosa. Supposedly to do well in the Veneto. This
was the first ManzoniBianco I've tried. ElisabettaForadori makes one as well.
This wine was one really strange beast and probably not a good indication of varietal ManzoniBianco. The
color seemed to indicate it was made as an orange wine, but it didn't have the strong phenolic signature
of those wines. Seemed to be made from very ripe, maybe botrytis, grapes. Strange stuff it was.
Story is here: http://dobianchi.com/2010/08/24/nascetta/
Well...this is a wine that needs food...some would say. I tried it w/ a number of dishes, including BBQ beef
brisket...none of which made it a pleasant wine to drink. I'm open to suggestions...what would this wine
go well with??
in character.
Bryan makes the only Fiano in Calif that I have had. The regular, with wonderful aromatics, is one of the
best expressions of Fiano that I've had.
The Terrane wines of his are made w/ minimal/no SO2 additions. I was absolutely certain (LosAlamos guys
learn to speak w/ absolutly authority...even when they know nothing on the subject) that the Terrane Fiano
was made w/ prolonged skin-contact and in a slightly oxidative manner. Yet there was something out of whack
for it to be an "orange" wine. The color was not right. It didn't have that strong phenolic/tannic character
on the palate you find in orange wines. And Bryan corrected me that it is NOT a skin-contact/orange wine.
Bryan has been working since 2008 w/ an SO2 alternative from Switzerland called Protos. It is extracted
from grapeseeds and is OPC (oligomeric proanthocyanidin). He had a friend run it thru a mass spec and it
appears to have some very strange characteristics. Bryan is convinced, seen the evidence, that Protos can
make really great/ageable wine and is convinced of its efficacy as an anti-oxident. You can find more
information on this product at: http://geolife-naturally.com/food_bever ... ation.html
He asserts that the wine went into the bottle absolutely clean and none of the weird character that I was
finding. He says in the first year in the btl, it develops a slightly oxidative character and then comes
out of it down the road. He served the '11 Terrane Fiano at Sat's OpenHouse and it was clean & no oxidative
character whatsoever. In fact, EricLundblad thought it his favorite of the day. So my two remaining btls are
going into my cellar and we'll revisit one in a yr or so.
Megan's is made by convential SS fermentation, minimal oak. His is made w/ skin-contact. Both are quite good
Vermentinos, but quite different in character. I'm partial to Hers for its powerful aromatics.
Tom
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Some New/Aromatic Whites...(long/boring)

by Andrew Bair » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi Tom -

Thank you for the interesting notes yet again.

A few comments:

I've liked the Cogno Nasceta in the past, but haven't had it in a while. Not familiar with Rivetto, but theirs sounds nice as well.

IMHO, the Coenobium Rusticum is as good an orange wine that you can get for the price point.

Re: Harrington - I was not aware of Bryan's interest in Campanian varieties. I've had his 2005 Pinot Noir from the Brosseau Vineyard a couple of times, and have enjoyed it both times.

Finally, Manzoni Bianco, Incrocio Manzoni 6.0.13, or whatever you want to call it (Incrocio just means a cross or hybrid): I've yet to try one from Veneto, though Gambrinus has also made one. Both varietal examples that I've had were from Alto Adige and Lombardia.The Foradori Fontanasanta will probably be the easiest Manzoni for most people to track down. Presumably, the best places to grow this grape have yet to be determined.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 am

Andrew Bair wrote:IMHO, the Coenobium Rusticum is as good an orange wine that you can get for the price point.

I haven't tasted the 2010 but in general I agree that it is a fine wine for the price.

And on the issue of food pairings, I remember pasta with uni being touted as a perfect match.

Although in my house I generally serve orange wines as an aperitif with roasted and spiced nuts.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:48 pm

TomHill wrote:4. Rusticum: This is a Giampiero Bea from grapes raised bu Cistercian nuns in the Lazio region of Umbria.

I thought Lazio was a different region to the south of Umbria. Is there also a subregion within Umbria named Lazio?
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Keith M wrote:
TomHill wrote:4. Rusticum: This is a Giampiero Bea from grapes raised bu Cistercian nuns in the Lazio region of Umbria.

I thought Lazio was a different region to the south of Umbria. Is there also a subregion within Umbria named Lazio?

Keith - You're right about Lazio and Umbria being two different regions. Good catch!