Fried Chicken : Which parts are your favorite?

Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Fried Chicken : Which parts are your favorite?

Postby Jeff B » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:47 pm

I adore fried chicken. Sure, it's probably just the grease but I could eat the stuff every day. It's my favorite way to have chicken.

What parts do you gravitate to? The legs? Breasts? Thighs? Wings?

I'll happily gobble them all with the exception of the wings. Just can't get into wings.

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
Jeff B
Champagne Lover

Location: Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Re: Fried Chicken : Which parts are your favorite?

Postby Robin Garr » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 pm

The egg. :mrgreen:
Robin Garr
Forum Janitor

Postby Lou Kessler » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:22 am

The dark meat of course, the white lacks juiciness and flavor.
I'm sorry Robin when I hear vegetarian I see Bourdain's leering grin and his comments about the substance of that word. At least I'm laughing.
Lou Kessler
Doesn't buy green bananas

Postby Howie Hart » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:41 am

Wings RULE! Of course, I'm from Buffalo. 8) Extra crispy - hot and a pitcher of Molson. I often wolf down 15 (sectioned) at a time. That being said, for regular fried chicken I prefer thighs or leg quarters.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Jenise » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:58 am

Wings are my favorite! Breasts probably second but one out of three times I might choose a thigh instead. True story: when I was a little girl, we used to go to a place called Sir George's Smorgasbord where I loved the fried chicken. What I really wanted was a breast piece but I found the word too embarrassing to say out loud so I always got a thigh instead. :oops:
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Jenise
FLDG Dishwasher

Postby Karen/NoCA » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Funny you should ask, because we had chicken last night. Gene and I were talking about the huge breasts the chickens have now. They are so thick, that I cut the whole breast into fourths these days. I used to love the breasts but not anymore. In fact, we decided not to buy cut up chickens anymore. I will buy the legs, thighs, and wings. Wings are my favorite, because they are small enough to soak up the flavors of the rubs and marinades or just the plain smoky flavor from the grill. I could use the breasts for other things like enchiladas, but I have also found that by the time I cook that thick breast until it is done, the meat is on the dry side. I buy organic chickens and even the smaller ones have the huge breast. Ugh!
Karen/NoCA
Hunter/Gatherer

Postby Mark Lipton » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:13 pm

For traditional fried chicken, I'd go with the breast to offset the potential fattiness from the preparation. If non-traditional preparations are allowed, then wings come to the fore. My favorite wing preparation is a modification of the Buffalo approach: Wally Wings from Hooligan's in Ormond Beach, FL. They're fried, marinated then grilled and are positively delicious.

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton
Oenochemist

Postby GeoCWeyer » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:08 pm

I have always been a "thigh" guy. Enough said.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
GeoCWeyer
Wine guru

Postby Carl Eppig » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Drumsticks, I could live on them!
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Frank Deis » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:10 pm

It's funny -- I grew up eating "white meat" (breast and sometimes thigh) probably because my parents were "spoiling" me by giving me the "good" parts. Of the people I know who prefer dark, like my wife, many come from large families where they really weren't given much choice about which part of the chicken they would be eating. And being in that situation, you get used to it and learn to appreciate it. At any rate I'm used to breast or thigh and really don't enjoy dark meat that's greasy and too strongly flavored. As long as we are talking "fried." For other chicken dishes, like soup/stew, all bets are off and breast is kind of wasted in some of them.
Frank Deis
Wine guru

Postby Dale Williams » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Frank Deis wrote:It's funny -- I grew up eating "white meat" (breast and sometimes thigh) probably because my parents were "spoiling" me by giving me the "good" parts. Of the people I know who prefer dark, like my wife, many come from large families where they really weren't given much choice about which part of the chicken they would be eating. And being in that situation, you get used to it and learn to appreciate it. At any rate I'm used to breast or thigh and really don't enjoy dark meat that's greasy and too strongly flavored. As long as we are talking "fried." For other chicken dishes, like soup/stew, all bets are off and breast is kind of wasted in some of them.

You had white thigh meat? COOl!

The thigh is probably my favorite, just edging breast. As noted, the Purdue type chickens have huge breasts, I prefer smaller birds (but we cut to end up with 4 breast pieces if we get a big bird). I tend to like breasts better is coating is spicy. Drumsticks are my least favorite.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Mike Filigenzi » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:55 pm

As long as it's moist and tender, I like it all.

"An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a very narrow field" - Niels Bohr
Mike Filigenzi
Known for his fashionable hair

Postby Fred Sipe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Wow, all these breasts and thighs... hot thread.

I'm a thigh man. And drumsticks. Max the umami and succulence. Once in a while anyway...

A couple of days ago, given no choice, I had "Broasted" chicken from under a heat lamp. Alrighty then.
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek

Postby Fred Sipe » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Jeff B wrote:I adore fried chicken. Sure, it's probably just the grease but I could eat the stuff every day. It's my favorite way to have chicken.

What parts do you gravitate to? The legs? Breasts? Thighs? Wings?

I'll happily gobble them all with the exception of the wings. Just can't get into wings.

Jeff

When I do wings it's only the drumette(?) part, the teeny drumsticks. I don't want to work hard enough to deal with the tip. Melinda's XXX, mmm.
Fred Sipe
Ultra geek

Postby Tom NJ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 am

Thighs! Thighs!

Fortunately my wife is a, um, breast girl. So between the two of us we pick the poultry clean.

BTW, I picked up an old Wear Ever "Chicken Bucket" pressure fryer off eBay probably 10 years ago, and I can't sing its fowl praises enough. Forget the 1800's chuck wagon cast iron dutch oven your Mormon forefathers toted along on the Great Trek West and handed down to you. Forget grandma's pure carbon skillet, the Fryolator, the buttermilk brined, double coated oven roasted lumps, the Korean krispies. NONE of them can hold a wishbone to the magic that is pressure frying.

(My wife won't go near the thing, though. Something about the phrase "risk of exploding pressurized super-heated oil" in the manual put her off of it for some reason.) :mrgreen:
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
Tom NJ
Ultra geek

Return to The Forum Kitchen