The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some great wines with Matt

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Some great wines with Matt

by Dale Williams » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Thursday was a hot one, and busy, I had to dash to catch my train to Grand Central. Matt Richman was in town, in between his move from NZ to Sonoma, and we gathered on the theme “Good Wine (mostly blind).” Dinner was at Rothmans steakhouse. We had the usual red- heavy assortment, and that led to the usual steakhouse appetizer angst. I just decided to forget about matching first course and had crab and endive salad, and then went with the lamb mixed grill (rib chops, leg medallions, sausage, and shank risotto)- quite good.

While we were gathering, Bill sent around a bottle of 2006 Leflaive “Les Folatieres” Puligny-Montrachet 1er, very tasty, full,rich, good acids for 06, slight (not unpleasant) cheesy note.A-

After that, all dry wines blind

White- served a bit warm, fairly full, there’s a waxy/wooly note that makes me guess Chenin (others guessing Riesling), my second guess in Chard (I think Paul’s first guess) 2009 Kumeu River “Mate’s Vineyard” Chardonnay B-

First blind red
Mine. Sorry I didn/t have time to decant before going to city, really tight. Funny when you know and others don’t- opinions all over the place here- CdP or Shiraz? Hot or too lean? Once they got PN/Burg it takes a while for anyone to get Vosne GC. Gets much better with air, I saved for hour +. Tight and ungiving at first, later some black cherry, sandalwood, spice, earth. 1999 Potel Romanee-St. Vivant B+

First real flight (Bill was easily guessing champ this flight)
#1- I thought this older cracking up Bdx at first, Somewhat lifted nose, red fruit and ashtray, got better with time, but others liked more than I did. 1982 Ceretto “Asij” Barbaresco B-

#2 More Piedmontish, and I thought much younger than #1 . Violets, tar, red fruits. I think I’m only person who preferred this for this flight 1982 Cordero di Montezemolo Barolo B+/B

Second red Flight
#1- Structured, full, some remaining tannin, great length. All in agreement re Bordeaux, and I think Paul gets vintage (I thought ‘96) - I got St Julien, then Poyferre after a couple of misses. Gets better and better with air, and my WOTN. 1990 Leoville-Poyferre. A-/A

#2- Ripe, a little hot, low acid, not my style, I guess ‘03 Right Bank but Paul is right with NZ Cab. 2008 Stonyridge Waiheke B-

Third Flight
#1 Big, powerful, Ramon zeroes in on Northern Rhone. Good length, but just not exciting for me. 1995 Guigal “La Landonne”Cote Rotie B

#2 Bordeaux, ripe, lots of cassis, cigarbox, forest floor. I vote my #3 of night. 1982 Ducru-Beaucaillou. A-

Fourth Red Flight (Paul is pretty on target here)
#1 Ripe midbodied Nebbiolo, fully mature, I’m guessing older than ‘93 from a good vintage, showing well 1993 Giacosa Barolo. B+

#2 Plush, fat, jammy. Paul gets this one. Not my style. 2003 Mordoree “La Plume du la Pientre” Chateauneuf-du-Pape. B-

Fifth Red Flight
#1Medium bodied, cherry fruit with lots of herb, could be longer. 2009 Schubert Block B Pinot Noir. B-/B

#2 New World, mature, vanilla, dark fruits, 1994 Stags Leap “Fay” Cabernet Sauvignon. B-

#3 Paul gets appellation, Ben gets vintage, Bill gets wine. Ripe, friendly, fleshy, but with some structure and gravitas. 1990 Pichon Baron A-

Last Blind Red
Paul gets Hermitage. Dark fruit, peppery, spice and cedar, good acids. My #2 of night. 1985 Chave Hermitage. A-/A

We finished with the 1989 Foreau (Clos Naudin) Vouvray Moelleux Reserve. Rich, bright acids, flavors take a while to really show. Orange pith, honey, chalk, very sweet but with the acids to match. I take the remaining ⅓ bottle to my local group on Friday and it’s even better.A-

Pretty strong lineup. We voted for WOTN, Poyferre in a stampede.
Red Wine Votes (everyone has 6 pts to award- 3 for their fave, 2 for #2, 1 for #3)
1990 Poyferre 23 (my 1st)
1990 Pichon Baron 9
1982 Ceretto 6
1985 Chave 4 (my 2nd)
1995 LaLa 3
1982 Ducru 3 (my 3rd)
2003 CdP 2
1993 Giacosa 1
1982 Barolo 1

Great to see Matt, Brian,and the old-time crew.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.