Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

To moderators re "spam"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

To moderators re "spam"

by Barb Downunder » Thu May 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Dear moderators I do not know if this is affecting everyone but for example in the 3D food thread there
are a number of words hilighted and underlined which lead to advertising stuff. Or perhaps it is part of funding for your
forums?
eg in Mike's post the word printer
in Jeff"s the word range

regards
Barb
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: To moderators re "spam"

by Jeff Grossman » Fri May 24, 2013 12:03 am

I don't see that. Maybe it's on your browser?
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 am

Thanks Jeff I will get my system administrator to have a look.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 am

Okay the problem seems to be at my end, something has got into my browser. Sorry for the mistake.
regards
barb
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 24, 2013 10:50 am

Barb Downunder wrote:Okay the problem seems to be at my end, something has got into my browser. Sorry for the mistake.

Barb, I'm glad you resolved it! Your post sure scared me, because, although we do permit Google AdSense advertising on the bottom of the forum pages - someone's got to pay for this thing, and no point in it being us! :mrgreen: - I would never hold still for something like that. In fact, I frequently block specific advertisers if I think their ads are too tacky or scammy.

So, any time you have any question about advertising standards, please feel free to post or send me a PM. I don't mind at all!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 am

We've been getting the highlighting of words on forums, email, and other internet sites for over a month now, and nobody I've contacted seems to know what to do about it. We're also getting popup ads that Trend Micro calls "dangerous pages." Any advice?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:We've been getting the highlighting of words on forums, email, and other internet sites for over a month now, and nobody I've contacted seems to know what to do about it. We're also getting popup ads that Trend Micro calls "dangerous pages." Any advice?

It sure sounds like malware on your computer, Carl. Maybe summon a tech? Or for starters, see if Barb Downunder can offer you anything more specific based on her experience.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri May 24, 2013 11:54 pm

Whilst my system administrator(ie my beloved) has not yet fixed my problem he tells me something called adware has infiltrated
internet explorer on my laptop. This may give you a path to follow, I will post anything that may help when he gets to it (renovations are
commanding his attention at the moment!)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat May 25, 2013 1:14 am

Barb,

Adware is a category of malware. (Adware = software that shows you advertisements, Malware = software that is malicious in intent)

It sounds like the one you have is a calm one-- it reads your web pages, looking for words it knows; when it finds one, it highlights the word and attaches a link back to its mothership. If it is also monitoring your activities, then it is spyware (= software that spies on you) in addition to being adware.

There are lots of good malware-removing programs out there; some are free.

Jeff
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Mon May 27, 2013 4:52 am

Okay, hereis what I have learned!
What I had was called Spydeal and is often bundled in with updates. The following is the fix for my problem which was it attached to my browser explorer 9
1. go to windows control panel
2. go to programs and features
3. go to applications
4. find spydeal and uninstall
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon May 27, 2013 7:59 am

Jeff Grossman/NYC wrote:There are lots of good malware-removing programs out there; some are free.
Jeff

This.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon May 27, 2013 2:26 pm

I've noticed on my computer that when I do a search for a product, an ad for that product follows me everywhere. So that means I have adware? Is there a way to get rid of it?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon May 27, 2013 3:21 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I've noticed on my computer that when I do a search for a product, an ad for that product follows me everywhere. So that means I have adware? Is there a way to get rid of it?

Karen, that more likely just means that Google (and maybe some of its associates like DoubleClick) planted a "cookie" on your computer when you did the search, as a way to (ahem) try to serve you ads that it thinks might be relevant to your interests. It's not malware and it's harmless, but if it offends you, there are plenty of ways you can clear cookies from your computer. Take care, though, as cookies have even more harmless uses - for instance, to store your password on this forum so you don't have to log in every time you visit. Bottom line, unless the ad bothers you, it's not doing any kind of tech harm.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon May 27, 2013 3:27 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:I've noticed on my computer that when I do a search for a product, an ad for that product follows me everywhere. So that means I have adware? Is there a way to get rid of it?

You have a form of adware known as tracking cookies. These are generally not malicious and pose only a slight risk to your privacy (IMO). If you want to stop these, Google tracking Cookies for a discussion to help you decide if that is what you want to do. If so, there will be instructions on how to block them (very simple) depending upon your browser.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue May 28, 2013 3:13 am

Been using Spybot for years successfully...and it's free.