Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ice Cream: Purity or Density?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Ice Cream: Purity or Density?

by Jeff B » Thu May 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Summer is around the corner and what better time to discuss one of my favorite foods - ice cream!

It seems there are two very general types of ice cream - those with a single "transparent" flavor (vanilla, chocolate) and those with an assortment of "stuff" mixed into the ice cream (nuts, fruits, cookie chunks, you name it).

I'm from the school that believes ice cream is most delicious in a "pure" form. I like solid flavors without the distraction of chunks and bits.

Which side do you favor. Or should I say, which side do you flavor? :lol:

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Ice Cream: Purity or Density?

by Rahsaan » Thu May 23, 2013 11:33 pm

I agree.

It was a humid day in the Northeast and after dinner I decided to take the slow route home walking with my first ice cream cone of the season. Salted caramel. Not spectacular, but a good first effort and one of the few good things (along with fresh fruit) about summer heat.

But yes, I'll enjoy a bit of textural contrast from the main flavor component, i.e. some citrus zest in a citrus ice cream or cherry peel in cherry, but the whole sludgy Ben and Jerry's-esque Kitchen Sink flavor model never really appealed to me and still doesn't. It's too unfocused.
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri May 24, 2013 9:39 am

I'm not a big fancier of sweets in general, but my all time favorite ice cream experience was a bowl of cantaloupe gelato from Vivoli's on a sweltering Summer day in Florence, Italy. More generally, my favorite experiences have been with fruit ice creams and sorbets, so I'm going with purity.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri May 24, 2013 10:48 am

The division of the question is insufficient for me. I like plain ice cream, and I like chips in ice cream. I'm generally not crazy about pieces of fruit in ice cream, although it depends on the fruit. And I loathe chunks of cookie dough, pie crust and similar pollutants in ice cream. :P
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 am

Ah...ice cream! Mom was an accountant for a creamery in Minnesota. She was also called on to taste test new flavors (which always surprised me since this was in the first half on the 20th century and I didn't know they experimented with flavors much). Anyway, the point is, ice cream was always important in our family and I've carried on the tradition.
I generally like pure flavors in a chewy texture, chocolate being my #1. I do not mind too much if there's other things like chunks of really good cookie dough or fudge or swirls of caramel but I do not like fruit, chunks of chocolate bars or anything hard.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sun May 26, 2013 10:23 am

It's all good!
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue May 28, 2013 7:41 pm

My very favorite ice cream is produced by Hayward's in Nashua NH. Specifically, their French vanilla. It's very decadent, with liberal use of eggs. Served in a still-warm, freshly made New England-style waffle cone, it's heaven on Earth!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

Not much of an ice cream fan. I never seek it out on my own but the hubby is a big fan so the occasional stop at Baskin Robbins happens, and I never deviate from a single scoop of Jamocha Almond Fudge on a sugar cone, so I guess that decides my answer to the question on the side of density, as it contains whole almonds.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

Kinda mixed opinions on this one. I love pure flavors, too, so I tend towards the simpler ice creams. At the same time, my definition of "pure flavors" includes oddities like whiskey-chocolate-raspberry gelato at Devines in Sacramento (YUM!) so...not too purist.

My favorite ice cream in the retail market right now is Mexican Chocolate from Berkeley's The Final Scoop. I am supposed to be kinda/sorta/blah blah blah on a "diet" now, but I broke down last night. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach