The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Miscellanea; Cornas,delicious quaffing Chinon & Bojo...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Miscellanea; Cornas,delicious quaffing Chinon & Bojo...

by Tim York » Wed May 22, 2013 6:28 am

Why this sudden spate of TNs from me? Simply because Spring never seems to arrive. Vegetation is in some cases 6 weeks later than last year. The maximum temperature is scarcely 10°C (50°F) and it has been raining for 24 hours. At least this gives me the opportunity to catch up with my backlog of indoor tasks, including a month's TNs.

Cornas 2003 – Franck Balthazar – Alc.13.5%. This was a “wow” in its youth, a bottle in 2009 confirmed its early promise and had civilised some of its excesses but another a year ago had turned porty and full of varnish, so I opened this one with misgivings. Happily it was back on form with well developed with notes of bright red and black fruit with a lot of sour cherry, a dash of wet leather and earthy minerals on the nose and a full bodied palate, complex and invigorating with lively acidity, pungently tangy and savoury fruit, pepper, crisp minerals and excellent firm tannic support towards the long finish. Very good 16.5/20.

Chinon Les Granges 2011 – Bernard Baudry – Alc.12.5%. This is a model Chinon for drinking young with delicious fruit with a typical noble “green” edge and charcoal notes as well as lively minerals and acidity. From memory I think that the 2010 was slightly fuller at a similar stage. Very good 16/20.

Beaujolais Vieilles Vignes Cuvée traditionnelle 2012 – Domaine du Vissoux, Martine & Pierre-Marie Chermette – Alc.12%. Chermette says that the main problem with 2012 was low quantities and I agree that, on this evidence, quality does not seem to be deficient; lots of quaffable tasty fruit and a surprising amount of backbone for a “light” year; good 15.5/20.

Fleurie Poncié 2011 – Domaine du Vissoux, Martine & Pierre-Marie Chermette – Alc.12.5%. This was more refined and charming than the previous as is appropriate for Fleurie but not markedly fuller as the vintage might lead one to expect. Delicious 16/20.

Côtes du Rhône Villages Cairanne Haut-Coustias 2001 – Domaine de l’Oratoire Saint-Martin – Alc.13.5% - was distinctly fresher and more lively than my recent bottles of 2000 and 2003. This is a lovely Mourvèdre dominated southern Rhône with still firm tannic structure (though my impression of this may have been enhanced by having just returned from a tasting). Very good 16.5/20.

Pays de l’Hérault IGP Old Vines Carignan Les Crouzes 2012 – Producteurs Réunis A F34360 – Alc.12.5% - (c.€5). I picked this out at a tasting for its full bodied burgeoning spicy fruit and liquorice tinge towards the finish. At home, I noticed that, with some pairings, the liquorice veers towards dry caramel which I dislike but overall I am happy with this buy. The seller knew nothing about the producer but, judging by “Old Vines” and a back-label in English as well as by a Google search, it seems aimed at the UK market. Good 15/20+ QPR!
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Miscellanea; Cornas,delicious quaffing Chinon & Bojo...

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 22, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks for the early peek at 2011 Baudry. I don't buy the "Granges" often, preferring the Domaine, but it is, as you say, model Chinon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 22, 2013 8:13 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Thanks for the early peek at 2011 Baudry. I don't buy the "Granges" often, preferring the Domaine, but it is, as you say, model Chinon.

Me too. In fact I rarely buy Chinon of any kind any more, but got the 2011 Granges as a convienent dinner gift the other week and everyone was quite taken with it, even - much to my surprise - people who usually drink big CA wines.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 22, 2013 8:50 am

Rahsaan wrote: In fact I rarely buy Chinon of any kind any more...

:shock:
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed May 22, 2013 9:02 am

David M. Bueker wrote:

I've just read elsewhere a post on Baudry's La Croix Boissée 1996 where one of the tasters likened it to a Pauillac 1er cru :!:
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed May 22, 2013 10:10 am

Not me!! Pauillac LOL.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 22, 2013 11:36 am

David M. Bueker wrote:

I've become more focused in the past few years, mostly concentrating on Beaujolais, Burgundy, and Northern Rhone/ESJ for red wines at home.

That said, I had an amazing 07 Olga Les Picasses the other week at my mother's house that reminded me why I used to love Chinon, so crisp and so silky. So I went out and bought some more Chinon these past weeks, but it's an aberration!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 22, 2013 12:16 pm

Rahsaan wrote:I've become more focused in the past few years, mostly concentrating on Beaujolais, Burgundy, and Northern Rhone/ESJ for red wines at home.

I've tried that. Unfortunately my tastes buds are too broad minded. They are refusing to be trained to only want a few types of red wines. I've got them pretty well under control with the whites though. :wink:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:
Rahsaan wrote:I've become more focused in the past few years, mostly concentrating on Beaujolais, Burgundy, and Northern Rhone/ESJ for red wines at home.

I've tried that. Unfortunately my tastes buds are too broad minded. They are refusing to be trained to only want a few types of red wines. I've got them pretty well under control with the whites though. :wink:

Yeah, from time to time I'll get a taste for something else and branch out. But I pretty much only drink wine on the weekends, which is 2 bottles per week maximum (assuming I don't have other plans), and there is so much Beaujolais, Burgundy, Northern Rhone wine that I want to drink, plus the whites, it can take me a long time to get to it all!