Shavous wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Shavous wine

Postby Harry J » Tue May 14, 2013 11:45 am

b"sd
Sometimes it seems like there are the things we do out of fear and that which we do out of love.
Fear on its lower level is of punisment and the such; while as one progresses higher that fear itself can be out of love and deference to that love, so as not to in anyway detract from it. On those higher levels the love and fear can almost blend as one.
Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Shavous wine

Postby Andrew B » Tue May 14, 2013 9:10 pm

Planning on having:
2012 Makom Grenache
NV Hajdu Besomim
2012 Covenant SB
2007 Yarden BdB
Andrew B
Wine guru

Postby YoelA » Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 pm

we drank 2007 Gush Etzion organic merlot; went very well with salmon.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Harry J » Thu May 16, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi; ella valley syrah 07,dark ,full bodied and really good.galil mt viogner 2010 delicious fruits,tannins and a long finish. Galil mt cab 2010 as every time before dissapointing. Yarden syrah 06 much much better than the last time.ageing beautifully.h
Harry J
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am

Harry, shavua katzar (very) but shavoua tov!

Spent chag in the UWS, it was actually nice to enjoy good meals and good wines with good people that appreciate. :)

Tuesday night:

Château Gruaud-Larose, Sarget de Gruaud-Larose, Saint-Julien 2003: Second bottle over the same week and again excellent though slightly different with more fruit and less barnyard funk/loamy dirt but softer tannins, drink now to drink up.

Four Gates, Petit Verdot 2010: A magnificent PV, dark inky purple with on the nose and palate black fruit and intense floral notes with touches of black pepper and toasted wood. Full-bodied with on the palate ripe blackberries, dark cherries, sweet herbs, rose water, bittersweet chocolate, bracing acid and round tannins coating Thr mouth and lingering on the long fruity and chocolatey finish. Very well-done that was a crowd pleaser, something you don't necessarily expect from a PV.

GHW, Gamla, Pinot Noir 2009: maybe already a bit past it's peak yet a palatable medium bodied wine with ripe red cherries and toasted oak, drink up.

Wednesday lunch:

Four Gates, Zinfandel 2011: Dark garnet with on the nose sweet black and red fruit and chocolate. Medium to full-bodied with on the palate again ripe sweet red berries, bramble and roasted herbs, licorice and nutmeg as well as sweet wood and bittersweet chocolate with good acid and tannins on the finish. A nice Zin that I'd classify somewhere between the Covenants Landsman's and Cuvée Chabad's. That said it was far from being as good as the Hagafen Prix Zinfandel 2004 I enjoyed earlier this week though a comparison with a wine that is 7 years isn't fair.

Capçanes, Montsant, Peraj Petita 2011: Dark purple, with on the nose ripe black fruit, coffee, saddle leather and spices. Medium, perhaps medium to full-bodied with on the palate ripe blackberries, plums, roasted meat, Mediterranean herbs, tobacco with more plums and sweet spices and nice tannins lingering on the long finish. A really nice well-balanced wine and a great QPR indeed.

Wednesday night:

GHW, Yarden Blanc de Blancs 2007: As excellent as always, might very well be the best kosher sparkling/Champagne-style wine out there.

Four Gates, Pinot Noir 2009: Dark cherry red with on the nose sweet and sour cherry and cranberries as well as cedar wood. Medium-bodied with on the palate sweet, perhaps slightly overripe sour cherries, cranberries, red currants, licorice, citrus water, roasted coffee beans with sweet herbs, nice acid and tannins that coat the mouth on the moderately long finish. A nice wine though not as varietally true as I would have expected.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
'So-called' wine expert

Postby Pinchas L » Fri May 17, 2013 3:42 pm

Hi Harry,

Flam Blanc 2012 - This is Flam's traditional white blend, consisting of Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay, with the proportions this year 55% to 45% in favor of the Sauvignon Blanc. The wine is stylistically consistent with previous releases, whose hallmark crispness is ever present. The fruit is primary apple and pear, complimented by freshly cut grass and dandelions. It successfully avoids the trap of developing a tropical character, making it suitable as a refreshing compliment to salads, and alfresco dining in the summer. The high score this wine achieved by Rober Parker tasting team is further evidence that scores are meaningless when not accompanied by the tasting notes. Having just read the score--91, I probably would have been lead to believe that this year's edition is a break from the past, but then subsequently reading the notes, I found them to be in agreement with my own assessment, though being the tougher grader, and being reluctant to award a wine that doesn't deliver much complexity regardless of how well it is made, I would not grant that high of a mark. Parker has it listed at $39. But one must keep in mind that in Israel it sells for a about $20. B/**/Y

Hagafen Prix Reserve Brut Cuvee' Late Disgorged 2007 - This is the fourth sparkling wine Hagafen has released of the 2007 vintage. I will admit to being confused as to whether this one is 80% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir or 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay, though I tend to think that this is not a Cuvee de Noir. The nose has nice yeast and bread, and the palate is accentuated by fine mousse and elegant notes of strawberry and apples. With each of the releases Ernie has tinkered primarily with the dosage, rather than the percentages of the blend. I cannot say that my taste buds remember the differences distinctly, but I would say that this release is the most elegant of them all. The Brut Cuvee--the regular bottling--was a bit coarse, and the second bottling, the late disgorged wasn't all that different, though it possesses more pronounced yeast. The Cuvee de Noir is fruitier, and one I set aside to serve at my daughter's wedding reception, and this Prix release is the classiest of them all. B/**/Y

Yarden Merlot 2004 Ortal Vineyard - While this is a rich wine, its richness is primarily derived from the oak, offering oodles of chocolate and mocha. This is the type of wine that impresses me with the first glass and bores thereafter. There is nothing technically wrong with the wine, and it is holding up nicely, though I don't consider myself any wiser about Israeli Merlot after drinking the wine. The grapes seem to have been merely a canvas for the rich oak to express itself. This is not made in the style I prefer, but I might have some on hand when entertaining guest. 15% AbV. B-/na/N

Hagafen Prix Pinot Noir 2006 Soliel Vineyard North Block - I liked this better than the '05 I had about a month ago. The dark berry fruit is quite expressive. Still, this doesn't do justice to the variety and it doesn't justify the reserve designation. B-/*/N

Tishbi Malbec Single Vineyard 2009 - The juice remains fresh and very enjoyable. The raspberry and red currant notes have depth and lead into the oak imparted flavors. This a very luscious and vibrant wine. B+/**/Y

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Moshe F » Fri May 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Was a rough holiday for wine drinking...

2009 Yatir Blend. Was ok, nothing special
2010 Barkan Merlot-Argaman. Too light, too sweet, too thin. to sink.
2009 GHW Golan Cabernet Sauvignon. Had no expectations for this and turned out to be drinkable.
2011 Gvaot Gofna Chardonnay-Cabernet Sauvignon. This was very interesting... very interesting. I think I would have rather liked a straight up chardonnay but this was fun for a whirl.
2010 Kadesh Barnea Cabernet Sauvignon. way too fruity for me. the social wine drinkers loved it though.

Cannot wait for Shabbos when I can drink my own wines and enjoy some peace and quiet. A true rest!
Moshe F
Wine geek

Postby Steven B » Fri May 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Harry,

2011 Ramon Cardova Garnacha: Nothing too exciting.
2011 Tel Arza Petite Verdot: Interesting, this was my first time trying a single varietal Petite Verdot and it was definitely enjoyable. Smokey and coffee notes. I can see this pairing well with a BBQ
2009 Hagafen White Riesling, Devoto Vineyard: I should have known better than to buy a vintage that has been around this long at a local wine store. This was either off peak, not stored properly, or both. Not drinkable.
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun May 19, 2013 3:46 am

Many GREAT wines - including my last bottle of the 2001 Yarden Ortal Merlot.

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/05/17 ... r-shavuot/

David
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 am

Easiest to combine Shavuot and this past Shabbat:

Gvaot Chardonnay/Cabernet 2011
Tzora Or 2011
Ventura Cabernet Franc 2009 (this really didn't go with the meal, but I was in the mood for it, and it was my birthday - so there.)
Bravdo Chardonnay 2011
Gvaot Pinot Noir 2009
Ventura Rose 2010 (I stumbled upon this in the cellar, and to be honest wasn't sure it was still drinkable. My daughter wanted it, so I opened it for her. I didn't taste it, so I can't comment. Regardless, I have no more.)
1848 Seventh Generation CS 2009 (Enjoyable, but not quite as good as I remembered it at the J'lem wine festival earlier this year.)

Over Shabbat we finished off the already opened bottles that Yaakov Oriyah let us take after our visit to Arad (and a big thanks to Gabriel for helping me get in the door. Wow.)

Midbar Viognier 2010
Midbar Semillon/Sauvignon 2010
Midbar Rose 2012
Midbar Red 44 2010 I have to apologize to Yaakov over this one. At the winery I found it way to oaked. However, in the intervening 24 hours, it mellowed considerably and I enjoyed the rest of the bottle.
Midbar Orange 44 2010 I also changed my mind 180 degrees on this one. The overwhelming aroma of cloves, along with the taste of clove when first opened at the winery turned me off of this one. That had dissipated by Friday night, and I really liked this. Gotta get some more.

Shavua tov. No wine for a while as we will be in Scotland this week. But, I intend to compensate with Scotch consumption.
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Sun May 19, 2013 4:52 pm

A really lovely and extraordinarily well balanced Chardonnay Elone Mamre 2011 from Hevron Heights winery. Just the right notes struck between CA style fruity tropical rich woody and French reduction, smoke, austerity.

Good stuff, really good stuff.
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 pm

Really Lewis! I tasted that wine and it pales in comparison to the 2010 EM - which was awesome. I thought the 2011 EM lacked body and was not balanced in comparison to its fruit. My 2 cents.

Mark - how was the 2012 Midbar Rose? What grapes? What process?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 am

Over Shavous I had the Legend 2010, Tulip Syrah Reserve 2010, Landsman Syrah 2010, Banero Prosecco, Yarden T2 dessert wine, and some beer (Trader Joe's Vintage Ale 2011). Enjoyed them all
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon May 20, 2013 3:28 pm

That tulip is a special wine...
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby lewis.pasco » Tue May 21, 2013 3:38 am

David -

It would not surprise me in the least if you and I had distinctly different impressions of the 2011 EM. I'm not sure yet - we haven't tasted together often enough :( - but it's surely possible we appreciate "different strokes" especially in whites...

Furthermore, how on earth did you you taste it? When? It was only bottled a month or so ago according to my knowledge, which, err, has got to be pretty accurate?

Did you taste it out of tank or barrel while you were in Israel? It couldn't possibly have been in the US already IMO...

It will be interesting to see what others have to say about this wine, as well as what competitions will award it too!
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Isaac Chavel » Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Let's see, I was visiting in Chicago, so my son bought from the Hungarian kosher market:
201? Tulip Mostly Cabernet Franc --- a failure. The fruit up front seemed OK, but when it hit the back of the mouth and "down the hatch", it was not good! A bad bottle. Hope the others are better.
2010 Bravdo Cabernet Sauvignon --- excellent but, if like the '09, it could use a bit more time in the cellar.
2009 Gilgal Cabernet Sauvignon --- very drinkable.
2007 Yarden Mount Hermon --- a friend brought this for Shabbat lunch. I expected it would have given up the ghost by now, but not so. Drank quite nicely.

Isaac
Isaac Chavel
Wine guru

Postby Mark Lieser » Wed May 22, 2013 3:27 am

David

I'm on the Isle of Skye with limited internet access so more details later.

In brief, the Midbar Rose was amazing. Deep red color with a robustness that almost makes it a red.

Mark
Mark Lieser
Ultra geek

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum