The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Rhys-onable solution

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: A Rhys-onable solution

by David M. Bueker » Mon May 20, 2013 10:28 am

2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/19/2013)

First bottle was badly corked. Rather than decide on something else to drink I went right back to the well.

A year and a half in the cellar has civilized this wine quite a bit. It's still very dense, but the aromatics are much more interesting (flowers, dark berries, cool earth), and on the palate it is stern but not bruising. Overall it is still a coiled spring, waiting to extend to its full length. I would wait several years (5+) before venturing to open this wine again. Excellent potential. Too bad I am impatient.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tom V

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:33 pm

nyc

Re: WTN: A Rhys-onable solution

by Tom V » Mon May 20, 2013 3:36 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (5/19/2013)

First bottle was badly corked. Rather than decide on something else to drink I went right back to the well.

A year and a half in the cellar has civilized this wine quite a bit. It's still very dense, but the aromatics are much more interesting (flowers, dark berries, cool earth), and on the palate it is stern but not bruising. Overall it is still a coiled spring, waiting to extend to its full length. I would wait several years (5+) before venturing to open this wine again. Excellent potential. Too bad I am impatient.

I definitely appreciate your research David. I have 6 of these sitting in the cellar, before I let my WA subscription lapse I noticed that Parker expressed strong reservations as to whether or not the fruit would outlast the tannins, so I'm happy to see that a WL person of some standing thinks that it will. :D