Lift Up / WeeksEnd wine

Founded by the late Daniel Rogov, focusing primarily on wines that are either kosher or Israeli.

Lift Up / WeeksEnd wine

Postby Harry J » Fri May 17, 2013 1:38 pm

B"SD. Seems like there's a fine line between partaking and resisting.the joy of indulgeing can be so wonderful yet crossing that thin line every now and then can be quite uplifting. Have a good one; h
Harry J
Wine guru

Re: Lift Up / WeeksEnd wine

Postby YoelA » Sat May 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi, Harry. 2012 Teperberg Special gewurtztraminer; pleasant, likeable.
YoelA
Wine guru

Postby Adam M » Sat May 18, 2013 10:55 pm

2009 hevron heights, isaac's ram - very good, esp the second day
Yarden 2T - very good as well, though very different varietal
Adam M
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sat May 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Shavua tov Harry,

Spent this last Shabbat in the US with relatives in Kew Gardens Hills (Queens, NY) that aren't wine drinkers and that's an understatement.

So for the first time in years I didn't have any decent wine this weekend.

But if you're curious:

Herzog, Jeunesse, Cabernet Sauvignon 2011: Believe it or not, the first time ever for me tasting this "wine". Basically grape juice with a little added alcohol... Trying hard it did have some surprising though not necessarily pleasant green notes on the, hum, mid-palate.

Wishing you all an excellent week with much better wines that the aforementioned one!

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Sun May 19, 2013 8:18 am

Thanks to Elie Poltorak I was able to make it up for this Shabbat and enjoy quite a few good wines before taking off:

Capçanes, Montsant, Peraj Petita 2009: Once again an amazing QPR, lovely wine though I liked the '11 even more.

Vignobles David, Réserve 2010: First time ever enjoying a VD. Very impressed! A great wine at a great price. I was blown away.

Ella Valley, Vineyard's Choice, Merlot 2003: Has aged beautifully: Also mind-blowing and now finally true to its varietal but drink now, wont live long in your glass.

Best,

GG
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Steven B » Sun May 19, 2013 9:50 am

Hi Harry,

2009 Hachavit, Cabernet Sauvignon-Cabernet Franc-Merlot

Shavua Tov
Steven B
Wine geek

Postby lewis.pasco » Sun May 19, 2013 4:59 pm

Mr Geller,

I am hoping those are your cousins who have held a grudge against you for many years for some unremembered slight you dished out and served the Jeunesse as payback.

Hopefully you are now even?

Or were they giving you a subtle hint that your occupation is, in their eyes, a completely frivolous waste of time?

I would have liked to see the expression on your face while quaffing that! :roll:
Life is too short to drink bad wine.
lewis.pasco
Ultra geek

Postby Josh Kramer » Sun May 19, 2013 8:13 pm

Superb week/end out in the Hamptons and some great wines were drunk. Thanks to Gary for hitting a home run on these! Each was paired with different course over a massive Friday Night dinner.

Psagot Magnum 2006
Psagot Merlot 2008
Barkan Superiour 2007
La Flor del Flor 2007
Carmel Mediterranean 2007
Shaal Late Harvest
Hagafen Cuvee (2007?)
Elvi Rioja Herenza 2008
Yarden Syrah Ortal 2004
Harkham Rose

All were great - everyone loved the Superiour, the Magnum was magificent, Yarden drank really well, and the Carmel and Flor excellent, held up well the next day too (whatever little was left in the bottle). Capped off a great culinary and vino filled week.
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby David Raccah » Sun May 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Hey Josh is the Harkham Rose the 2012? Is it officially here or was it a special? I loved the wine - though it felt at times that it lacked the bracing acid I crave in a Rose?
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Gabriel Geller » Mon May 20, 2013 1:51 am

Lewis, :lol:
Gabriel Geller
Wine guru

Postby Isaac C » Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 am

Opened up a bottle of Bravdo Merlot 2009 but it was corked, switched to Galil Ela and my leftover Legend 2010. The Legend held well from Shavuos, the Ela was nice, it could have used a little more time to breathe. The Alon is much better, but the Ela is still a very good QPR. Also had some more Yarden T2, which is holding up really nicely, now open for 3 weeks.
Isaac C
Ultra geek

Postby Yehoshua Werth » Mon May 20, 2013 1:48 pm

2009 Odem Mountain Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon- nice
2011 Agur Kessem - fun
2011 Recanati Syrah - value
Yehoshua Werth, Manager
The GrapeVine Wines & Spirits
Monsey, NY USA
http://www.youtube.com/TheGrapevineWines
Yehoshua Werth
Wine guru

Postby Pinchas L » Mon May 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Harry,

Tzora Shoresh Blanc 2009 - Made mostly of Gewurztraminer and rounded out with 15% Chardonnay. The nose is dusty and reminiscent of grapefruit, while the palate has more of a tropical profile, particularly pineapple. The wine is completely dry, with a streak of bitterness running through it. Until I find counter examples, I'm buying into the opinion that Gewurztraminer needs some residual sugar to offset the unwanted bitterness that pervades the palate. 13% AbV. C+/**/N

Brobdingnagian Grenache 2010 - The second time around I like it better than the first. Dried smoked meat dominates the initial mouthfeel, but is complemented nicely by opulent black cherry that rises on the finish, and by cracked pepper that is present throughout. It took awhile to grow on me, but I'm beginning to appreciate it. Also, the black cherry is very noticeable now, especially on the finish. 14.5% AbV. B/**/Y

Best Regards,
-> Pinchas

Grading for quality: A - marvelous, B - good/intriguing, C - mediocre/uninspiring, D - subjectively flawed, F - objectively flawed
Grading for value: *** - it's a steal, ** - it's a reasonable deal, * - you've been robbed
Indication of further interest: Y - would purchase again, N - no desire to purchase more
Pinchas L
Wine guru

Postby Josh Kramer » Mon May 20, 2013 11:06 pm

David, I think the Harkham is not yet out, it was a special bottle. Didn't love it either, I'd agree with you on the lack of acidity.

I forgot to add Tulip Syrah Reserve too. Outstanding.
Josh Kramer
Wine geek

Postby Sam M » Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 am

2011 landsman syrah- very nice. This is a well done syrah. Good balance of fruit, spice, tannins . Loved it.
Sam M
Ultra geek

Postby David Raccah » Wed May 22, 2013 2:57 pm

Had a lovely bottle of 2010 Gvaot Cab, Herodion. Please open this wine three hours before enjoying - helps a TON!!!

http://kosherwinemusings.com/2013/05/22 ... -herodion/
Checkout http://www.kosherwinemusings.com for my blogs on the world of kosher wines and follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/kosherwinemuse.
David Raccah
Wine guru

Postby Craig Winchell » Wed May 22, 2013 3:28 pm

3 hours? Except for an old-style Barolo, I cannot envision purchasing a wine with the understanding I would need to open 3 hours before use. What is this world coming to? I registered my thoughts on aeration several days ago in the other forum. Needless to say, a winemaker doesn't produce his wine with the idea that people will need a healthy wait after opening until drinking. Therefore, it is up to the consumer to drink the wine as the winemaker intended. If it needs more age on the bottle for optimal drinking, so be it, because that was obviously the intent of the winemaker.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Return to Israeli and Kosher Wine Forum